I know, lame post, but I wanted to say that Linux gaming has gotten soooo much better, to the point that I honestly think my games are running better than on Windows. I’ve played so many games, but notable ones are Halo: MCC, MS Flight Sim 2020, Satisfactory, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, and right now I’m starting a full playthrough of Dragon Age.

Dragon Age is notorious even on Windows for being a pain because it’s such an old game. You have to install the 4gb patch, and even then it’s a bit rocky. Not on Linux though! I did have to install PhysX but I googled it and saw it was 2 buttons to install on Linux! Now it’s been rock solid and stable, with no crashes.

Linux gaming may have a high bar to learn, but that bar is constantly getting lower! Exciting times!

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s gotten to the point that I buy games without looking them up first. I’ve been running Linux as my daily driver for over a decade, and buying a game used to take research. Is there a native version (probably not but it happens once in a while)? What it scoring on ProtonDB? What have the Lutris folks figured out?

Now I just buy the game and play it. Granted I don’t tend to play competitive multiplayer games so I don’t run into cheat prevention system nightmares.

• Rayspekt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah me too. I only look up aaa stuff because of intrusive anti cheat or other launchers and stuff. But I don’t play much of this anyways atm

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s gotten to the point that I buy games without looking them up first.

Same here. That was how I knew things had changed.

Let’s also not forget that while Elden Ring was waiting for a patch on release day to avoid stuttering on Windows, it never stuttered on Linux due to shader precaching in Proton. I try and tell that story to people on the fence about switching. A lot of people have this idea that Linux is “catching up” – in some sense, it is the opposite, in that I can sometimes get better performance on Linux vs Windows even with Windows binaries.

• CaptDust@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

This has been the best part of how it’s developed the past few years. I’ve recently bought lies of p, baldur’s gate 3, and sons of the forest (at 1.0) without needing to look up anything. All three simply installed and ran great. So nice not having to fiddle with launch options and stuff.