I’m trying to lose weight and was told that hwo I eat about 800-1000 calories a day is too low and lowers my metobolism which will prevent weight loss. I’ve looked up some meal plans and can’t really afford stuff like chicken breast, steak, or salmon every week. So that is why I’m wondering how I can eat 1500 calories a day. Are there some alternatives that I can do?

Also I’d like to ask, say I exercise and burn say 500 calories would I have to eat those calories back or no? I ask cuz I’ve been told yes and told no.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

“Avoid all sugar”

Right. Avoid fruits.

But seriously. Fruits have very little benefit for health. They have health benefits vegetables have, but with sugars also in them. Fruits are sugared veggies.

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      30 days ago

That’s such a dumb take. Fruits are like the second best thing after vegetables in their ration of satiation per calorie.

Added sugar is completely different beast from the sugar in fruits and vegetables.

You would need to eat an ungodly amount of fruits for it to be bad for your health.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

They’re still in the “good for you” category, but completely unnecessary for health. Anything you can get from fruit you can get from vegetables and it reduces your sugar intake that way.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

At this point, we can boil down everything to a nutrient paste with no flavor to be healthy. But very few people would be able to endure that.

This is a terrible advice to not eat fruits when trying to lose weight. The diet fatigue is real, and eating an apple can at least take off the edge when its getting harder in the later weeks. I know it did for me when I wanted to eat junk food.

And the goal is also to develop healthy habits, and having fruits add to the variety of available food.

I mean, you are technically correct, but it won’t help anyone trying to change their lifestyle.

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            30 days ago

Have you bothered reading anything OP has posted? They’re having issues getting up to 1500 calories a day and getting enough protein. Fruit won’t help them as much as pecans, veggies, avocado, some carbs, and eggs. Feeling full off fruit isn’t an issue they want.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              30 days ago

You are the one with reading skills issue. OP said he doesn’t have money for the meal plans items.

Depending on where you are, eating fruits and veggies in season will be a lot less expensive and somewhat satiating if mixed with inexpensive fats and proteins.

Nuts are expensive as hell, avocado are expansive as well. Even super greens are getting expensive.

• angrystego@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Sugared veggies is good. As you say, fruits do have the health benefits vegetables have, which is not “very little”. They’re full of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and above all, fiber. Sugar is not all bad either. Evolutionalrily, we probably like sugar exactly because it is present in fruits and eating fruits is beneficial for us. If you ate only fruits all day, then it would be bad for you, but I’m pretty sure in reasonable amounts fruits are an important part of a healthy diet.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        30 days ago

Your mostly correct, except there are no fruits that are an important part of a healthy diet. You can have some as a treat or whatever, but they are not important, and simply do what veggies do, but with a spike of sugar.

• Ceedoestrees@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

Vegetables are just fancy nutrients, that’s why I only eat a flavourless calorie paste that contains all my essential vitamins.

• Alienmonkey@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

Measuring and establishing some boundaries by plant, rather than type, could be useful to op.

Peppers and carrots can be higher in sugar than expected. Relative to their positive flavor impact on a salad, a cutup strawberry or two adds only a small amount.

Grouping plants into fruit or veg might not be effective for calorie monitoring. Would need to know what they want to eat, and search for nutrition info. Thus a plan.