• kyub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

While this does seem overly restrictive and out of place there, the result of this isn’t bad, because everyone should be at the most recent vesion at all times, period. If you aren’t, you’re exposed to more security holes and bugs. So it’s weird that that program forces you to do that, but it’s still not bad that you’re forced to do it. If you get what I mean. For some less-caring users who’d otherwise never install updates, forced updates are actually a net positive.

• MazonnaCara89@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

However, as you can see, the creation dates for both the virtual disk of the VM and the Windows 10 ISO are August 2, 2024—just under nine days ago. I seriously doubt there is a significant Windows update that would prevent me from running Xbox Accessory without first updating my operating system

• kyub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        30 days ago

Yeah, you should use Linux regardless. ;-)

• kn33@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Go ahead and update the firmware or change button bindings on an Xbox controller using Linux for me. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

• rtxn@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

change button bindings

AntiMicroX. Simple graphical application to rebind controller inputs to keyboard and mouse actions. You’re welcome.

• TheTechnician27@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

If we’re assuming the user is trying to run this through Win10 to get the Bluetooth working (which is the only real reason I know of to update the firmware like that), then xpadneo supports Bluetooth out the box with no issue. Moreover, the user said they were trying to modify the settings and gave no mention of any firmware update.

I hope you’re satisfied with the fruits of your eight minutes of patient waiting.

• MazonnaCara89@lemmy.mlOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            30 days ago

I’m not looking to update the firmware of the controller; rather, I want to customize certain settings, such as rebinding keys and adjusting actuation points. While some of these modifications can be done with third-party software on Linux, my controller inherently supports these features at the hardware level. Therefore, I don’t see any reason not to take advantage of it

• SaharaMaleikuhm@feddit.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

Back in my day you just connect a controller and play. Do I have to be worried about people using my unpatched controller for a botnet now?