• Sorse
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

Games, the easiest way to expand the storage on a Steam Deck is a micro sd card.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      29 days ago

SD card is limited to 100MB/s iirc.

It may be simplest, but it’s far from ideal.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Given some reviews I’ve seen, it’s more than good enough for games. Loading times may be a bit longer, but not that bad. HDDs are in that range, and plenty of people use HDDs for gaming.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          29 days ago

I can’t even imagine going back to an HDD for gaming.

I was recently given a laptop to check and make sure there was no info on it before disposal, and it took so long to boot into Windows and get into a usable state, I legit thought it was faulty.

And the worst thing was, that was a fresh install. Somebody had already cleared it.

Games are just so stupidly big now. They’re pushing 200GB. To fill 16GB RAM from SD (and not all games load that much) would take 3 minutes. The SSD can do that in about 6 seconds.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

Yeah, there’s no way I’d be playing a 200GB game on something like a Steam Deck. Most games I’m interested in playing on a SD is something like 20-50GB, and most of that doesn’t need to be loaded to play.

• jacksilver@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

I have an SD card with windows installed so I can run windows games without dual booting. It takes a while to startup, but is fine once it gets going.

Certainly not ideal, but that’s a whole OS and it’s decent.