• kirk781
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    29 days ago

They missed out on many things too. While the Pixel Pro has an LTPO display, the base model doesn’t. They only ship with UFS 3.1 storage despite UFS 4.0 being available. Charger is still not bundled.

Heck, give anything except for AI.(144Hz screen anyone? Motorola has them). I never used Assistant and after trying Gemini out for some time, disabled it as well.

• Ibuthyr
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      29 days ago

Charger is still not bundled.

That is an absolute pro argument though. Who needs yet another charger?

• kirk781
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

The companies stopped giving chargers so they can sell them later to customers as an extra accessory and make more money. This wouldn’t be a problem if there was a uniform standard. But USB PD isn’t used by majority of manufacturers. My 33W charger can’t charge my Samsung device fast which only draws maximum of 25W because previous is based on VOOC thing.

• Ibuthyr
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          28 days ago

The idea is to reduce waste. Everyone I know has a 100w charger with multiple USBC ports. I only use one or two chargers for all my devices. I usually throw away the bundled chargers because they’re shit and worthless.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      29 days ago

All else aside, what the heck do you need to waste battery power for on a 144hz phone screen? There’s no reason. Heck, I have a 120hz screen and turned it down to 60.

• kirk781
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

I just meant, that having a higher powered refresh rate screen that can easily be toggled on/off is more refreshing than more on device AI, IMO.

• ColeSloth
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          28 days ago

The ai stuff you can do with pictures on the pixel 9 is actually pretty nifty. I could see using that a lot more than a high refresh rate.

• kirk781
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

I have a noob question, is backporting any of these camera features possible for Google to older Pixel phones or is there a technical limitation?

I do agree about diminishing returns on high refresh rates. I have my current phone turned to 120 Hz and it gobbles up battery quite much.

• ColeSloth
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              28 days ago

It would be possible, but it would be a lot slower and use up a lot more power. By my limited understanding, AI chips work by being able to do a lot of imprecise math at once, instead of normal chips designed to do precise math and not a lot at once.