“This whole saga makes me genuinely embarrassed to follow this stuff. I just want a sub that has an informed opinion on AI, this is worse than crypto bro bullshit.”

“Every hype-man who posts vague tweets and hype posts should be ridiculed. Every clown who posts screenshots of said tweets on this sub should be ridiculed.”

““AGI is coming out next year” - this sub for the last 4 years”

some self aware highlights.

• Sauerkraut
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Lol people still fall for the “my dad works for nintendo” bit when no other independent source can verify the claim?

It is just as embarrassing as the people who buy into “insider political leaks.” Unnamed, unverifiable sources are almost always fabricated

• RyanGosling [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Depends on the nature of political leaks. A lot are deliberately leaked to control the narrative. For example, leaks about Biden “being furious” with Netanyahu is just to appeal to west wing brained liberals. Or how “anonymous sources revealed” to MSM that “Ukrainians” were behind the Nordstream bombing. In the latter case, they admit it was sabotage, but want a different narrative around it.

• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Not necessarily. Often it’s coming from a real source, it’s that if the source was known it’d be blatantly obvious the “leak” isn’t juicy truths TPTB are trying to keep from us but rather blatant propaganda from TPTB are pushing to manufacture consent.

• Sauerkraut
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I don’t follow. Half-truths are lies in my book so it sounds like we agree that those claims are largely fabrications aimed to stir up drama (increase engagement) or deceive us (manufacture consent)

Either way, it shouldn’t be legal for any journalist to try to pass off unverifiable gossip as legitimate News.

• PKMKII [none/use name]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I interpreted your original comment to mean “the journalist made up the leak.” I’m guessing from your response that you meant the insider source pulled it out of their ass.

• Sauerkraut
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I think it is a mix of both. Insiders exaggerating or making stuff up and journalists also exaggerating or straight up lying about having a source when they don’t.