• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

My firefighter/emt job I’m at 54 hours a week starts at $41k a year. That’s after getting all the certs and all the ongoing training and emt refresher classes etc. Most of us work two jobs.

• FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Most of us work two jobs.

This is what I think about every time the soundbyte about Biden creating 16,000,000 jobs is played. How many of those are second or third jobs?

Probably most, because nothing meaningful has been done to curb inflation, price gouging on rent, and progress toward living wages.

• frunch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Interesting factoid: if those jobs were created by Trump they’d all be 1st jobs and pay enough to house and feed a family of 4

/s

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        24 days ago

Biden spent roughly a trillion dollars of increased-corporate-tax money on domestic manufacturing, and armed the NLRB to meaningfully fight for unions which enabled them to backstop a lot of the union gains that have suddenly magically happened over the last few years. There was actually a court battle because he fired the corporate hack who had Trump put in charge of it on his very first day.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Firefighters needing 2nd jobs has existed for a whole lot longer than any politics has screwed shit up.