• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Hemp / marijuana is arguably the most successful plant at this. It enjoys a high degree of biodiversity where as most plants we cultivate suffer from monoculture problems. Why is hemp / marijuana so successful? Probably because of its multiple uses. It makes strong fibers, you can make milk from it, you can make all sorts of consumer products like lip balm and hair conditioner, and you can get fucking ripped bro

• Silentrizz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

See also Brassica Oleracea aka wild cabbage which we’ve cultivated into cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, collard greens, savoy cabbage, kohlrabi, gai lan… etc

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

we’ve even cultivated it into magical artefacts, romanesco broccoli

• Woland@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I love the texture of cooked romanesco, it’s as if potatoes and broccoli got together and decided to have a fractal baby

• derpgon@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Fun fact, apparently nature can only do fractals 4 levels deep. This works for romanesco, fern, and tons of others. I am yet to find an outlier.

• Tak@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

From what I can find there are 700 strains of cannabis

There’s 4000 varieties of potato

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Where did you find that about hemp? I can only find info about recreational marijuana and can’t find anything about agricultural or industrial hemp. And the recreational marijuana numbers I could find are all just like “top 30 strains to try today”

• MedicareForSome@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Leafly lists 6,822 cannabis strains. Though ‘strains’ or more aptly cultivars are often not reflective of the actual underlying chemical nature of the plant [source]. They are ultimately not very meaningful in general.

Based on this database, Europe has 104 varieties of hemp registered.

Canada has 87 but there is probably overlap.

Though potatoes and cannabis aren’t really a fair comparison for many reasons. There are a lot of different species of potatoes with major chromosomal differences but cannabis only has 3 species.

• Tak@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

It’s also not really fair because potatos are one of the easiest plants to monocrop with how you can propagate them without seeds.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Yeah its a major problem in particular with the Idaho Gold being far and a way the most commonly grown potato to meet McDonald’s demand for long fries that stick up out of the little fry nest

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It depends, silphium was potentially an effective contraceptive that was harvested to extinction.

• Kempeth@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The difference in survival probably stems from a single hyphen.

Mint grows like a fucking weed. Silphium grew like a fucking-weed.

• Zink@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

You aren’t kidding. I got four tiny spearmint plants this spring. They are growing kind of hydroponically because I have a pond.

In less than three months, those plants have exploded into huge nice-smelling bushes that are more than two feet in each dimension. They are planted in a line so there’s this walk of mint that’s almost 12 feet long.

But that’s not enough. The plants send out branches along the ground like freaking tentacles. They will spill out of a planter box, for instance.

The fast growth is why I chose this plant, but damn!

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

You’re going to battling mint for decades to come.

My mom made that same mistake more than 20 years ago. The original plants are long gone but I am still dealing with mint in my garden and just everywhere. It takes over the lawn.

• paysrenttobirds@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Similar is happening to Western Yews for cancer meds, I think. Whether it survives depends on how easy it is to tame if only intensive agriculture will supply the demand. And then there’s the question of whether it’s still the same thing – looking at you, broiler chicken.