So I shop around to get some bits and pieces for a good home made meal, and I notice some items say, a pack of vegan burgers, these are more expensive than regular burgers!

I’m not a vegan but I’m curious as to why these items are priced as such, it’s a bit of a pain for people who can only eat gluten free food as those items are priced high too. The bread we get for me grandpapa is pricey for what you get.

Is it different production methods that make it pricey? You’d think with healthier, easier to get ingredients would be cheaper than producing regular non vegan items.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

beans and onions are famously difficult to grow and transport, yes.

we live in a time where with the magic of freezers we can literally make bags of mostly nutritionally complete food that can be kept frozen for at least a year without any loss of quality, and then you can just toss that in a frying pan when you want to eat it. Healthy food isn’t a luxury, it’s quite cheap and easy and everyone would have access to it if it weren’t for a small amount of abjectly evil people actively preventing it.

• lath@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Frozen food is less nutritious than fresh food. And maintaining it frozen at the required level needed to maintain the minimum of nutrition is expensive, both during distribution and storage. If the company even bothers to respect that.

By the time those frozen veggies reach your freezer for you to keep them up to a year, their nutritional value might be so low you’d be better off eating cardboard.

Adbot please! Scientists can’t figure out how to keep ice crystals from fucking shit up at the genetic level in industry-specific cryogenic pods and you expect me to believe a Walmart level freezer can keep food fresh and unspoiled after they imported it from halfway across the world?

Just… go away.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

for the record, all of this is utter and complete nonsense and you are out of your mind, just so no one reads this and takes it seriously.

Modern flash freezing is basically magic that suspends time, you lose maybe 1% of nutrients and even extremely fragile stuff like berries don’t lose much quality so long as you don’t thaw and re-freeze them.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/freezing-and-food-safety

here’s an article from the USDA explicitly stating that freezing doesn’t destroy nutrients.

• lath@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

Lies! It’s all lies! Don’t believe the magic-touting adbot! They’re just a freezer shill!

My mistake about nutrients in frozen fresh food. Everything else though, just your average adbot lies.

• Swedneck
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

genuine question: are you okay? you kinda give off paranoid delusion vibes

• lath@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 days ago

genuine answer: oh yeah, I’m fine. Thanks. I was going for that approach. Glad to see it worked.