• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

honestly I still cant figure out how to configure a network interface properly without using the old control panel.

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

You literally can’t.

There’s a ton of stuff you can’t do with the new garbage settings.

Let’s not even mention that on an operating system called “Windows” you can only have one “window” of settings open. And opening new settings will just replace where you just where. Which is extremely rage inducing.

• SkaveRat
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 days ago

opening new settings will just replace where you just where

I don’t use windows super often anymore, so I don’t really have that usecase, but man. Just imagining it makes me annoyed and angry

• SkaveRat
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            21 days ago

yup. The couple of times I had to use one, the bad UX absolutely annoyed the hell out of me

• Faceman🇦🇺
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

I’m pretty positive on mac OS, as an OS it’s technically quite good, but their preferences app has always been atrocious almost entirely for this reason, I want to have two preferences windows open to different pages please…

• Doomsider@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              16 days ago

I hear you. I have always been a power user so I was pretty shocked when you could not open two file managers at once in OSX.

The thing about Apple devices is they work great, as long as you do it they way they want.

• Faceman🇦🇺
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                16 days ago

You can have multiple finder windows in OSX, thats perfectly normal, but you cant have the network settings open next to the printer settings.

• Doomsider@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  16 days ago

Well that was not the case with the last time I used OSX. You click on finder and it would not open a second window. This is not how Windows or Gnome/Kwin work.

• Faceman🇦🇺
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    16 days ago

you have been able to right click (or i guess two finger click for apple people) and open a second window forever.

• superkret@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

As admin and tech support, I use the control panel constantly. I use the settings app… for display configuration, I guess?

• Curdie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

It’s not you. There are many things you simply cannot do in the settings app.

• Scrollone@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 days ago

And if you can do it, it’s complicated and convoluted. I miss Win32 settings panels, everything was so well organized and simple to manage.

• nehal3m@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Yeah the new interface has restrictions it doesn’t tell you about until you try to apply new settings.

• purplemonkeymad@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

You can now reach the network connections folder, using an option on the network status page. It’s something like advanced network options. Still all the classic stuff, but avoids “control panel.” I’m going to guess links like that are not going to be removed.

If they just outright remove all of that, you really will need to learn how to do everything in powershell.

• Faceman🇦🇺
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        20 days ago

Mostly 11 now. I honestly prefer it to 10 now, but that’s with quite about of decrapification done to remove all of Microsoft’s bullshit.

At home I’m mostly using Ubuntu, but it’s basically covering firefox as all of my self-hosted stuff runs in thevbrowser and I don’t game much.

• stephen01king@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          20 days ago

Hmm, then I’m a bit confused, since my experience with Windows 11 settings app has been good enough to not need to go into the control panel for setting up basic networking, unlike with Windows 10’s setting app.

• Faceman🇦🇺
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 days ago

Thus why im moving to 11. Lots of the PCs I work with are still 10 though.