First off: I am still undiagnosed. I’ve followed the ADHD topic for more than a year now since I seem to match a whole lot of symptoms and behavior patterns. An official diagnosis will most probably still take another year. I live in Germany.

One thing that got me wondering was caffeine. As I’ve heard, drinking coffee will make ADHD folks not feel any more awake, maybe even a little tired.

While it doesn’t make me feel awake as well, I very vividly remember my first coffee a long time ago that caused a massive outburst of productivity when all of the time I was known for being ‘lazy’ and distracted. However the effect quickly diminished with each subsequent coffee over the next year.

Isn’t this a contradiction though? If I actually had ADHD, why did coffee have this awakening effect on me back then?

• joulethiefOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

I have checked, and there’s really only one that specializes in adult ADHD. Already called them but I have to wait until the waiting list for 2025 opens in december.

I got an immediate appointment through 116 117, that was the worst therapist I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Brushed off ADHD as a “Modediagnose” (not sure how to translate this, negatively connotated trending diagnosis?) and we thankfully never talked about any further appointments

• KittenBiscuits@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Sounds like ‘modediagnose’ could be translated as “fad diagnosis” maybe?

It’s a problem with health providers here too.

• addictedtochaos@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

i ended up paying for it. 650 euros. still had to find a therapist though. met a bunch of a holes. its not worth telling what was happening, it was the usual horrorstories.

• Mighty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

ADHS ist nichts für einen Therapeuten. Ich bin zu einer Neurologin gegangen. Im Prinzip waren das drei Sitzungen oder so bis zur Diagnose, also braucht man nicht unbedingt groß Termine. Der Test hat mich 75€ gekostet. Danach musst du “nur” noch Medikamente bekommen

• joulethiefOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Danke für den Hinweis, das war mir gar nicht bewusst!