First off: I am still undiagnosed. I’ve followed the ADHD topic for more than a year now since I seem to match a whole lot of symptoms and behavior patterns. An official diagnosis will most probably still take another year. I live in Germany.

One thing that got me wondering was caffeine. As I’ve heard, drinking coffee will make ADHD folks not feel any more awake, maybe even a little tired.

While it doesn’t make me feel awake as well, I very vividly remember my first coffee a long time ago that caused a massive outburst of productivity when all of the time I was known for being ‘lazy’ and distracted. However the effect quickly diminished with each subsequent coffee over the next year.

Isn’t this a contradiction though? If I actually had ADHD, why did coffee have this awakening effect on me back then?

• Jrockwar@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Coffee is a stimulant, which is known to help people with ADHD. In fact, ADHD drugs are also stimulants.

The productivity effect you describe is what many ADHD folks get with coffee. The brain finds it easier to focus under stimulants so you get more productive, and even relax a bit because of quieting your inner “running commentary” that keeps you jumping from one task to another.

However, that doesn’t mean that ADHD makes you immune to caffeine or that stimulants can’t have a stimulating effect on you. After 10 coffees, you’d feel jittery like the rest of mortals, and experience a caffeine crash afterwards, or find it harder to sleep at night - all of those are normal effects that caffeine has in the human body.

The other part to what you’re describing is just normal caffeine tolerance. All drugs have this to some extent, but I find that it’s rather easy to build tolerance to caffeine, and its effect feels smaller and smaller gradually over time. For me, the best way to avoid this is to limit my intake on weekends and/or not have 7 double espressos on workdays (which I’ve done way too many times and is not a good idea). If you don’t have coffee for a month, the first one after that period will really have a strong effect.

I appreciate everyone’s brain chemistry is slightly different, but for me, coffee doesn’t make me very nervous or “buzz”, but the biggest effect is that I focus better. If I start working in the morning and don’t have a coffee, even if I feel awake, my brain will keep jumping from one task to another and struggle to maintain concentration and do anything useful. The first coffee makes that go away, it’s like my brain “latches” onto tasks more easily. I can actually work on something for half an hour without going on a wild goose chase of “what is the best calendar app that also syncs notes to my phone” or whichever is the distraction of the day.

As a bit of an experiment, I would suggest for a few weeks you pay attention to these things to understand well the effect it has on you, and treat it (i.e. dose it) as a delicious medication. 😄

• addictedtochaos@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

and thats the reason i can drink coffee and go right to sleep. i was always confuesed why people made such a fuzz about me making a cup of coffee late at night.

• joulethiefOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Oh my god, the distractibility at work without (or even with) coffee in the morning is so real. I even get the “buzz” feeling that you describe which can feel very unnerving at times.

I don’t think I drink that much, at work its usually one in the morning and one right after lunch to avoid the food-induced coma. Max 1 or 2 on the weekends. Can’t imagine going a full month without it though, lol.

• Hildegarde@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Many people self medicate with caffeine. It helps with focus and productivity, which is why coffee is incredibly popular. Its not just for the neurodivergent, it helps most people focus, making it a staple of workplaces worldwide.

I have only ever heard people with ADHD describe coffee as calming, but it helps with focus. The problem for those with ADHD is that the mind is too active, so being more calm helps focus.

If coffee helps you do the things you want or need to do, you should use it. Avoid excess, proper dosage is essential for any drug even ones as benign as caffeine.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Caffeine poisoning is real, and I almost died from it. Granted, I had A LOT of very strong coffee that day (probably the equivalent of around 30 cups), so it’s relatively rare, but it can happen. Not a fun experience at all, but it almost codified my maximum tolerance levels. Basically, what you’re saying, but with a caveat: if it helps, use it, but be careful not to overdose.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

Super fine ground, almost Turkish. Instead of one teaspoon for 6oz water, I put at least 4tsp per 6oz water, and just kept drinking them. I count my coffees now…

• GlenRambo@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Diagnosed. Coffe gives me energy, keeps me awake. ADHD meds give me energy and ability to actually do things. They also make me feel normal.

So the calmong sleepy thing not universal. Its also not used for diagnoses, similar to “talking lots” is not in itself a diagnoses.

FYI Ridalin makes me crash in the middle of the day, and if I forget to take it at noon I’m ADHD brain awake by night. Vyvance is much better at riding it out all day and then just crashing.

• Novamdomum@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

For me it’s coffee + environment. If I’m just at home chilling then the effect of drinking coffee is very mild. If I’m at a business networking event, for example, it can really trigger my hyper behaviours. I get extremely enthusiastic, creative and happy.

By the way, one of these business networking meetings I go to is exclusively for business owners with ADHD and I can’t tell you how much fun that is!

It’s basically 15 people happily talking over each other and not taking it personally and 5 or 6 who didn’t turn up because they thought it was another day. We have one neurotypical person there to try and tether the ballons that we are down into some sort of coherent group but it is wonderfully chaotic :)

• joulethiefOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

That sounds awesome! I doubt there is but need to look for something like this in my area!

• countrypunk@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

It’s not a universal rule at all. I know people who are very ADHD who if they drink coffee they have a panic attack. I know people who it makes tired, and I know people who it makes productive. Personally it makes me more talkative.

Basically, it’s not a criteria for diagnosis at all. Everyone’s brain chemistry is different. There might be a higher percentage of people with ADHD whom caffeine does not affect compared to the general population, but that does not at all mean that to be ADHD you have to have that same thing.

• scrion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

No, it’s not. However, you might notice that you develop a dependency faster than others, and to a greater extent. I can’t really drink coffee as it will make me slightly more alert, help with concentration and general energy levels, until after 3 days, the effects have diminished so far that I’m at 14 cups to even remotely stay awake.

Given that you can’t up your caffeine intake to arbitrarily high levels, what follows is a fast crash and constant exhaustion, while still drinking a shitload of coffee.

I got diagnosed late in life (in my 50s) and I have stopped consuming caffeine at all due to having access to medication. That resulted in a totally different (read: fixed) sleep cycle and regular energy levels over the course of the day.

Honestly, fuck caffeine.

• Mighty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Hey, Just to let you know: I’m also in Germany and it doesn’t need to take a year to get diagnosed. Check your surroundings for neurologists that do ADHD in adults.

Also to your question: it’s a spectrum and no hard and fast rules what your brain does. Mine doesn’t like caffeine as well, no effects, but with meds, I get massive heart rate and anxiety.

• joulethiefOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

I have checked, and there’s really only one that specializes in adult ADHD. Already called them but I have to wait until the waiting list for 2025 opens in december.

I got an immediate appointment through 116 117, that was the worst therapist I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Brushed off ADHD as a “Modediagnose” (not sure how to translate this, negatively connotated trending diagnosis?) and we thankfully never talked about any further appointments

• Mighty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

ADHS ist nichts für einen Therapeuten. Ich bin zu einer Neurologin gegangen. Im Prinzip waren das drei Sitzungen oder so bis zur Diagnose, also braucht man nicht unbedingt groß Termine. Der Test hat mich 75€ gekostet. Danach musst du “nur” noch Medikamente bekommen

• joulethiefOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

Danke für den Hinweis, das war mir gar nicht bewusst!

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

i ended up paying for it. 650 euros. still had to find a therapist though. met a bunch of a holes. its not worth telling what was happening, it was the usual horrorstories.

• KittenBiscuits@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Sounds like ‘modediagnose’ could be translated as “fad diagnosis” maybe?

It’s a problem with health providers here too.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

versuch wasser mit salz, hört sich bekloppt an, aber funktioniert jedes mal, wenn ich doch mal herzrasen oder herzklopfen habe. also glas wasser, salz rein, und trinken. muss so salzig sein daß du es nornalerweise nicht trinken würdest, aber nicht so, daß du reihern mußt.

grund ist: erhöhung der basalen stoffwechsel rate geht so schnell daß der körper nicht folgen kann, und du hattest zu wenig salz im system daß der körper sich einregeln kann. salz und magnesium und viele andere dinge haben wesentlich mit herzschlag zu tun, extrem viel.

zuviel salz pisst du aus, also mach dir keine sorgen.

• Mighty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Ne. Ich habe einfach aufgehört Kaffee mit Koffein zu trinken. Ist kein großer Verzicht für mich.

Aber vielen Dank für die Hinweise

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

ich bin gerade am aufhören, habe zum glück die kopfschmerzphase überwunden. hattes du eine erschöpfungsphase, nach dem du aufgehört hattest?

• Mighty@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            18 days ago

Ne gar nicht. Ich war nie ein großer Kaffeetrinker. Es war bei mir aber das Antidepressiva, nicht das Amphetamin, dass die Reaktion ausgelöst hatte.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              18 days ago

ah, das nützt salz eh nicht soviel, das es eine substanzwechselwirkung ist - sobald stimulanzien und antidepressiva aufeinandertreffen, wird es chaotisch.

• candyman337@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

The tired effect coffee has is because your brain calms down and can rest. You just used that calmness to actually get things done. I have ADHD and coffee keeps me up for hours if I have too much. It’s definitely not a concrete rule, more just an indicator that you may have ADHD if coffee affects you differently. It’s not a concrete determining factor either way. Good luck on your diagnosis journey!

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

caused a massive outburst of productivity

Coffee is a stimulant and can therefore provide a similar effect to actual ADHD meds like Adderall and Ritalin. You may have been unknowingly self-medicating.

• voracitude@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    20 days ago

If I have ADHD then it’s comorbid with and somewhat masked by my autism (which lets me hyperfocus, but when I’m not, I’m all over the place and switching tracks constantly). My partner though does have a diagnosis, and I’ve been doing some research into ADHD treatments for her because of the Adderall shortage. I came across a few papers like this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6574559/

L-Theanine is the main stimulant in tea (also found in other stuff like coffee and mushrooms, but in lower quantities). Maybe coffee would help with your symptoms if it had more theanine? I bought a bag of micronised theanine powder for our morning energy mix (100mg caffeine + 400mg theanine, in about 1L of water) on a health supplement site like this: https://taiyogmbh.com/en/start-en/brands/suntheanine-en/

Dissolves well, and it’s working for us as a replacement for coffee. It seems to help her focus even without the Vyvanse, more than when she hasn’t had either anyway. I really like that we can add any flavours we like, and we got a carbonator to make it seltzer too. Really refreshing on a hot sunny summer morning.

If you or anyone else in the thread try it, I’d love to hear how it works for you after a few days! Data points, y’know.

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Huh, I’ve always been a tea drinker rather than coffee, and I’ve always found tea more calming that coffee or caffeinated sodas. This could be why.

It could also help explain why my mother, who I’ve suspected for a while was undiagnosed, favored tea over coffee all her life and really went off the rails once she developed a caffeine allergy and stopped drinking it.

• DudeImMacGyver@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

Formally diagnosed with ADHD here: Coffee does not make me feel tired, kinda helps me feel more aware, but definitely helps me concentrate on stuff. It can also increase my anxiety so I usually stick to less than 3 cups a day these days.

• oberstoffensichtlich@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

Coffee makes me jittery and nervous. Sometimes that results in productivity, but it’s not the calm focus methylphenidate or amphetamine provide.

• joulethiefOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

It’s the same thing for me. There’s a good chance I’ll do something productive but I tend to get jittery as well.

• sleepmode@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

I’m diagnosed. If I haven’t had coffee in a few days and drink a few strong cups it mainly drives up my anxiety and wakes me up a tiny bit. Then I usually crash hard. If I’ve had it for multiple days in a row, I can barely register any difference in how I feel at all. It definitely affects my resting heart rate though, so I try to keep my intake low. Eating a snack and staying hydrated is more affective at perking me up.

• Plopp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

I think it might vary from person to person and over time. Coffee usually has no effect on me, unless I overdose and get all shaky and cold sweaty. But since a year ago I’ve been having a hard time sleeping if I drink it after 18:00. I used to be able to have a cup right before bed no problem but not any more.

• general_kitten@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

About the effect of caffeine diminishing it might be because brains adapt very quickly to it so you might have high tolerance, you could try going for a couple days-week without any and see if the effect on you changes.