• Tartas1995
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying it wasn’t. But if you makes a gift for your friend’s birthday, and they don’t bother at all to return the favor/attention, would you be upset as you would think it is kinda a dick move?

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

But if you makes a gift for your friend’s birthday, and they don’t bother at all to return the favor/attention, would you be upset as you would think it is kinda a dick move?

That’s kind of a different thing. But no, I would have no issue if I gave someone a gift and they didn’t give one back. A gift is a gift, not an loan they didn’t ask for.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        18 days ago

It isn’t about it being a loan. It is about attention, care and respect. That is why I wrote favor/attention. You won’t be friends with someone who doesn’t in any way show you that they care/respect you.

Edit: just to be very clear, the gift is an example of you expressing care, in my example. It is not necessarily a gift, it could be helping them move, or anything else that expresses some level of care.

You don’t expect me to care for you, so you are probably not upset when I don’t hold open the door for you when you are 4 steps behind me. But if your friend would do the same (assuming that they know you are there) you could take it negatively.