• Staubsaugernasenmann
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 days ago

The problem is that (as far as i know) only pixels fulfill their security requirements, for example that the bootloader is not only unlockable but also lockable. But I also would like to have more devices supporting it

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

Fairphones should be supported imo. CalyxOS relocks the bootloader and they supported the FP5 right after launch.

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        14 days ago

CalyxOS relocks the bootloader and they supported the FP5 right after launch.

CalyxOS is not a hardened OS, and GrapheneOS requires more than than just relocking the bootloader.

Fairphone’s devices do not meet basic security requirements for hardware, firmware and the software device support including drivers. Please look at the hardware requirements at https://grapheneos.org/faq#future-devices and check for yourself how many of those are provided by the Fairphone. Even the Fairphone 5 has a CPU core from 2021 without even PAC and BTI.

Ref: https://discuss.grapheneos.org/d/7208-8y-security-updates-on-fairphone-5-will-the-devs-consider-porting-grapheneos

• huginn@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Fairphone should sell phones outside of Europe

Unfortunately neither of us get what we want

• wreckedcarzz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            14 days ago

Mmmhm. I’ve been eyeing them since their first phone. I’m sure they will offer even the most basic “international shipping with no warranty or support” any day now…

my skeleton, 64 years from now, in front of a computer with the website loaded, waiting for the global debut

• unexposedhazard
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              14 days ago

Idk where you are, but looking at their shipping info they list some authorized resellers that ship to the US. As you said, they will have varying levels of warranty etc but yiu also have to check hardware stuff like mobile network compatibility etc

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                13 days ago

Unfortunately, it’s only murena that I can see (https://murena.com/america/products/smartphones/?wcpbc-manual-country=US), which only has the FP4. It’s quite frustrating, I want to support the project and FP is just uninterested in doing so for NA. Even when the 4 came out, it was going to be a downgrade from my Pixel 5, but like 3y (?) later with no sign of the FP5 is oof.

(I forgot too that it’s only compatible with 1 of the 3 nationwide networks here, which I don’t currently use… but baby steps, just having availability here would be nice)

• unexposedhazard
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  13 days ago

I can understand your frustration but there are probably reasons. Also the FP5 only came out exactly 1 year ago.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    13 days ago

Yeah, the 5 is much newer than the 4, but the 5 is unavailable here. I assume this is all because they simply lack the staff/resources (and customer base) for a NA operation, it’s just :(

• huginn@feddit.it
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            14 days ago

Paying full price for a phone that was weak when it released 3 years ago that is also missing most US cell bands and is locked to T-Mobile.

Oh and also the parent company doesn’t ship anything to the US, so parts are aftermarket only.

That’s not available in the US: that’s you can hack together a workaround.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              14 days ago

Yup, I looked into them because so many people talked them up, but due to all of those issues you mentioned, I crossed it off my list. I ended up going with Pixel 8 due to long software support, GrapheneOS compatibility, and acceptable repairability, though I would have preferred a PinePhone Pro (if it had better speakers and software support) or FairPhone (if it had better support in the US).

I guess we’ll see what happens when my phone goes out of support (so, 6+ years?) or I break it.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 days ago

gos is open source. If the fairphone people wanted to maintain a fork of GOS for their phones, they could.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

And they could discuss w/ GrapheneOS devs about upstreaming changes and collaborating on longer-term support. I highly doubt GOS project has the resources and desire to support another phone line.

• jet@hackertalks.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            14 days ago

https://grapheneos.org/faq

Many other devices are supported by GrapheneOS at a source level, and it can be built for them without modifications to the existing GrapheneOS source tree. Device support repositories for the Android Open Source Project can simply be dropped into the source tree, with at most minor modifications within them to support GrapheneOS. In most cases, substantial work beyond that will be needed to bring the support up to the same standards. For most devices, the hardware and firmware will prevent providing a reasonably secure device, regardless of the work put into device support.

if fair phone wanted to, they could, but gos will not volunteer for the work.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              14 days ago

And that’s completely fair IMO. If FairPhone did do the work and supported US customers as first-class on their platform, I’d probably buy my next phone from them.

• gwilikers@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

What does a lockable bootloader mean? Is it just encrypted so the kernel never gets loaded without the user?