• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

Easy is relative. What are you trying to do? Replace a value in an yaml file? Then nano is easier. Trying to refactor a business critical perl/brainfuck polyglot script in production? Then you probably want to use vim (or emacs if you are one of those people)

• grysbok@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Walk someone else through editing a config file on the command-line over screenshare? Nano. Omg nano is your friend.

• notfromhere@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

Honestly, roll back to previous release for production and use best IDE your developers are used to on their local machines, test the fix in a non production environment then release to prod. When is editing business critical scripts in production really needed?

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

It was a joke to make the point that vim can be the easiest tool to use if you are trying to do a complex task.

• notfromhere@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 days ago

I’m a bit slow on the uptake there haha. I started with vi and moved over to nano at some point and never looked back. I can refactor code in production with the best of them. There’s still some tricks I’ve seen done in vi that amazes me that I haven’t tried to figure out in nano, but for the most part it’s fairly easy to use to do nearly anything in. Even supports color for supported files, YAML, etc.