• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Not trying to be a smart ass, I just keep seeing things like this for Ubisoft and other companies and people just crap on them, but then Steam is almost never criticised for the same issue (or I am not seeing those memes). I guess Valve makes enough other things right so people are more happy to overlook this?

• huginn@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

Steam is not a publicly traded company, so they don’t pull this kind of skullduggery in service of the shareholders.

They’re a company full of people who, gasp, like video games: unlike the average navel gazing, brainless, Harvard Business School CEO.

Given their track record they’ve been more consistently “pro gamer” than other companies and are given a lot of leeway for that.

• SmilingSolaris@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

Valve has stated that if their store was ever to be discontinued they would remove all DRM they have in place to allow for the games to be played without it. This was a long long time ago though.

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 days ago

Yeah, promises change over time. Hope they can keep their promise on that but not sure how that would even be feasible with a catalogue that large.

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 days ago

And it is only really a promise they can keep for their own games. Like I said in another comment, lots of game studios already ship their games without DRM.

If Valve goes under, the games that are gonna be a problem are the ones from the likes of Ubisoft and EA.

They wouldn’t lift a finger to make sure people who bought their games on steam could keep playing them if steam disappeared

In fact they’ve been taking their games back even while steam is still around. Lots of people own unplayable games on steam because the publisher screwed the servers or something.

• ObsidianNebula@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 days ago

Eh, their business practices regarding selling games are fairly consumer friendly, but overall they have quite a few issues themselves that aren’t great. I wouldn’t hold them up as a great company but rather a better company than the competition, which is a fairly low bar.