I’m following several privacy focused communities. Mostly as lurker but in few I’m more active. Every time I see a posts like “how to be more private”, I wonder about the reasons behind those questions. What’s the reason you want to remain private (don’t confuse it with being anonymous)? Could you elaborate on your reasons?

Let me start.

I worked (and still working) in a highly regulated industry as a software/devops engineer. I’ve been working with banks, insurance companies, global online payment companies, major credit card vendors, few global corporations. I have seen how data is gathered and (mis)used. Every time someone tells me “I’m sorry but the system…” I know it’s the data gathered by the “system” and my profile created based on that data was the reason for “but”. This is why I care about the privacy, to prevent companies from taking advantage of my current situation and charge me more.

• Rikj000
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

Imagine living in China,
    where the government is able to request data of each company in their country.

Imagine that China would setup an AI/LLM, to feed all private chat data into it,
    and automatically flagging opposition of the government regime.

Imagine a white van appearing in front of your house and disappearing into a concentration camp because you got flagged after expressing your opposition to the government to your mate in a private chat.

All collected data can be abused like that,
    or by other means (E.g. a country at war gets hacked, which could lead to leaking critical private information on political/defensive decisions).

To me the question is not if data collected on you will be abused, but rather when will it be abused?

Just having it stored somewhere imposes risks.