link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Think I would rather be shot(chance being shot really) by a cop than let a demonstrated murderer continue picking targets based on whatever bullshit criteria they have in mind.

I can maybe take a bullet or three(~200lbs of … dubious composition). Children, the elderly or other likely targets? Not so much.

EDIT: Imagine prefering random people get shot in a mass shooting(and/or by cops) vs the random “I can take it” self-proclaimed dumbass you encountered on the internet. Congrats, seven random morons, you’ve drank the just-as-toxic-but-sopposedly-opposite-of-toxic-masculinity kool-aide.

• BlackDragon@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

You might be surprised. Some people get shot 20 times and walk away without any irreparable damage. It’s all effectively random.

• kofe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 days ago

Two friends of mine had perpetrators walk up and empty their clips into them. The smaller friend didn’t make it, but the larger one did miraculously survive with 8 bullets in his torso. I’d be morbidly curious to see if there was research supporting that the extra mass made the difference

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

I mean, there’s statistically more area without a critical organ/blood vessel to be hit. Plus you have more blood, so you can lose more in total.

I think the difference would be small, especially compared to other variables though.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

it depends on where you get hit, unless you get hit directly in a main artery, or dont get tended to quick enough, you’ll more than likely be fine given enough time.

• MachineFab812
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 days ago

Sorry, why /s? Cops aren’t even particularly good(or safe) shots. I would be more worried about them hitting another bystander in their attempts to shoot me.

I’m not saying I would enjoy being shot, but statistically, about two-thirds of gun-shot victims survive(source: the Brady campaign), and, mass of jello that I am, I am in pretty good health since my time wiring barges up over the last year.

That said, this is assuming I happen to be armed and choose to put myself in harm’s way, which is another consideration where I would prefer to be harmed vs others. Odds are good it would be because I chose to do something objectively stupid, versus others whose only choices are to run, hide, or confront their attckers un-armed and otherwise un-prepared.

• SacralPlexus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 days ago

“I can maybe take a bullet or three” sounded like such over the top bravado I was hoping it was meant tongue in cheek.

Don’t get me wrong though I was just commenting on that sentence. I am not meaning to undermine your point about police and their (lack of) aim.

• MachineFab812
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

Opposite of Bravado. I see myself as disposable vs most people until shown different, and most people I know who say such things as I have here and mean them seem to feel the same way about themselves. A mistake I don’t live to learn from(or learn of) is less terrifying than a failure to do right by others.

I’m not saying I definitely won’t just hide, cry, piss and shit myself, but I didn’t do any of that(until hours later) the last few times I had guns pointed at me, and no, I don’t mean by friends or due to personal shenanigans(unless you count signing on certain government forms). It has been over 15 years since the last time though.