We used to have earbuds that don’t need to be charged because they had a headphone jack, didn’t get lost so easily because they had a cord attached to a headphone jack, never lost the bluetooth connection because they had a headphone jack, and they cost less because they had a headphone jack. https://bsky.app/profile/daisyfm.bsky.social/post/3l3mfjc6sn62k

• VOwOxel
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

USBC and lightning are both still digital connections, meaning you have to have a digital-to-analog converter un the headphones themselves, making them more expensive and more complicated.

Also, you can’t charge and listen at the same time (without an additional cable).

3.5 mm is the “old reliable” - I will never buy a phone without both a 3.5mm jack and a MicroSD card slot.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

Apple EarPods are $20 in either Lightning, USB-C or 3.5 mm. You can get off-brand Lightning for $6 at Walmart, so I don’t think price is a factor.

Anyway, I have had a phone without a 3.5 jack for 4 years now and it hasn’t really affected my life much. I thought it was lame they removed it too, I don’t really expect electronics manufacturers to keep a connector from the 50s forever.

• VOwOxel
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

Fair. Although I have more to say.

Maybe this connector from the 50s has survived this long because it’s perfect (or at least really good) at its job? There is a reason why all professional equipment uses analog connections.

I agree that at a price point of 6€ or 20€, it doesn’t make much of a difference for most headphones - although I’d like to mention that for 20€, you’re already in the price range of cheap IEMs (“In-Ear Monitors”), which are really good in terms of price to sound quality.

If you want reliable earbuds with good sound quality and affordable price (between 20€ and 100€), IEMs are a really good choice.

Also, their cables are pretty much always robust and replaceable, so if one does break, you won’t have to buy new headphones altogether.

The only “caveat” with IEMs is that they exclusively have analog connections (3.5mm). I think that’s a good thing, though: the manufacturer has more budget for better cables and audio drivers this way.

I hope I could shed some more light on this :)

• zeppo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

Unfortunately, I think most people do want wireless connections at this point. We might even have phones with no wired connections at all soon.

• VOwOxel
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

I find the idea of a phone without any ports incredibly distressing. You’re probably right, though. It won’t be that long before apple and/or samsung try that.

I realize now that I’m likely in a loud minority.

As long as there are half-decent phones with usb & 3.5mm ports and sd slots, I’m content. The large manufacturers can do what they want for all I care - I just hope my niche persists.

Thanks for this exchange.