• kirk781OP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Yes, the title the author chose is a bit err, clickbaity. But there were still decent introductions to few old IDEs. Maybe if he had covered more(maybe some niche ones?), it would have been better.

• NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Yes. A much less boomer-coded article would be better.

But as someone who has actually used a lot of the various IDEs over the decades and keeps coming back to vim (and is already expecting to go back to vim within a year because of invasive copilot shit…): Those niche editors? They are either genuinely bad ideas (think TempleOS levels of insanity) or they became plugins for every other IDE. I like vim a lot but emacs is the same (actually emacs is an OS with a text interface but…). And many of those plugins ALSO exist for vscode and atom/sublime and so forth.

Because good (uncopyrighted…) ideas propagate. That is development and design.

• kirk781OP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

Yes, emacs is a fine operation system. All it lacks is a decent code editor.

• marcos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

It has Evil if that’s your thing :)

I dislike that it takes way too long to boot, but IMO the defaults are just fine.

• Shareni@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

I dislike that it takes way too long to boot

1. Use the Daemon, it starts a new client in a fraction of a second
            2. Improve your config and it’ll start in under a second anyways
            • marcos@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 days ago

TBF, I don’t even remember why I stopped using the daemon. But it’s currently 3 seconds, so I dislike it… but not so much that I’d prioritize solving the problem versus complaining about it on the internet…

Anyway, I’m adding the server into my DE’s startup. Thanks for the reminder.