This works way better than I expected. This is a static image test for a HUD on my home cockpit using a dead cheap beamsplitter made of plexiglass and a smartphone.

This works by placing a smartphone (or really any kind of fitting display) below it. The beansplitting characteristic allows some of the light to pass through and will mirror whatever is on the phone display below it. The image is inverted though so a HUD mode requires an already mirrored display mode. There are apps for this but since I use HTML for all my GUI stuff I can probably just use CSS for this task. Most of the work was finding out how to get Firefox to do fullscreen (which can be requested via JS from a user interaction - so it has to be some sort of clickable element) and get it to keep the display always on.

A more advanced build would use a beamsplitter glass. This thing here is “designed” for cars and is according to the review a really bad product because it doesn’t work well with day light or likes to slide around. All problems my desk does not have, of course, so I got this on a whim to see how it would look and I’m mind-blown with the result already 🤓 What do you think?

Originally noted at https://beko.famkos.net/2024/09/06/15629330/

• Beko PharmOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

That’s X4 Foundations. Supports Linux and Vulkan 👍

• mranderson17@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Nice! I have X4 but haven’t played past the flight tutorial because I got input binding fatigue a little. I should go back and finish that up =].

Been playing a little Flight of Nova lately because I like the Newtonian physics and semi-manual orbital mechanics it offers. I think X4 can do that too if you disable flight assists I just never got to that point.

• Beko PharmOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

X4 flight model is… lacking. Still a great game. Oh and yeah, FON is a great experience. I’m now at a point where I can launch and land again where I want without damaging… much 🤓