Wondering if Modern LLMs like GPT4, Claude Sonnet and llama 3 are closer to human intelligence or next word predictor. Also not sure if this graph is right way to visualize it.

• vrighter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

no, they are not. try showing an ai a huge number of pictures of cars from the front. Then show them one car from the side, and ask them what it is.

Show a human one picture of a car from the front, then the one from the side and ask them what it is.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

What if the human had never seen or heard of anything similar to cars?

I bet it’d be confused as much as the llm.

• vrighter
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

That’s why you show him one, before asking what that same car viewed from a different angle is.

I had never seen a recumbent bike before. I only needed to see one to know and recognize one whenever I see one. Even one with a different color or make and model. The human brain definitely works differently.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 hours ago

You know what bicycle are though. And you’re heard of recumbent bikes or things similar to it.

If you had never heard of anything similar at all to bikes, and saw a picture of a recumbent bike from the front only, you’d probably think “ I have no fucking idea what that is”.

Idk man, weird for you to think humans can kinda learn fully about something without all the required context.

• vrighter
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

you keep missing the fact that I don’t know out of nowhere. You would have just shown me one and told me what it was. Yes of course I’d be able to tell you what it was. You just taught me. With one example.