My wife bought some Govee Smart LED string lights. We have VLANs setup in our house to isolate IoT devices and setup the new lights on that WiFi. But when we use the app to control them it requires an account and precise and “while using app” location data. The app does not work at all without enabling permissions for location.

Am I being paranoid? This wasn’t an initial setup thing the app is unusable without location enabled.

She really wants smart LED lights for outside the house. Is there an option anyone knows of that might be a bit more privacy oriented?

Thanks.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    12 hours ago

Unfortunately, it’s probably for Bluetooth, as those permissions seem to be linked.

But, for lights, if you’re handy, look into xlights / fpp, it’s the software that some holiday lightshow people use, and it’s great, but involved. Similarly, wled software runs on esp32 chips and can control lights, but again, you need to be handy enough to set it up.

Edit: home assistant seems to have created access to the local API for govee, https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/govee_light_local/ but that still might be more than you want to deal with.

• Policeshootout@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Thanks I will look into those products as well as Home Assistant. I’ve yet to pull the trigger on installing HA, I don’t have a lot of devices that have made me want to use it yet. We only have a couple Google speakers and Chromecasts.

• dysprosium@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Bluetooth and gps permissions are linked? Why in the ass of logic is that reasonable? My Bose app required gps for connecting to headphones. I didnt see the logic

• Policeshootout@lemmy.caOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Apparently it’s to detect nearby devices so that you don’t have to pair the traditional way.

The other thing that bothers me about these lights is they have a built in microphone that listens for music playing and can adjust the lights to match the music. I haven’t looked myself but some users on Reddit have posted about the amount of network activity with Govee cloud and Google Analytics being very high.

If I can isolate them from accessing the internet and connect through Home Assistant locally then I may keep them… These are sort of a trial run for future permanent Christmas/Occasion lights on the outside of the house.