• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

Navigation within a single workspace is pretty much the same as in Sway/i3.

I don’t remember how it’s done in Sway/i3. If you have two monitors side by side, moving the focus from the left most window on the right monitor to the left, moves the focus to the left monitor.

A major difference is the workspace design. In Cosmic, there’s currently a single set of workspaces for each monitor. In Sway there’s one set shared between all monitors.

The workspaces can be either horizontal or vertical, which is useful depending on how you configure a multi monitor setup. This is because with vertical workspaces, moving down from the bottom window moves the focus to the next workspace (and vice versa).

In my case with two monitors side by side, this is awesome, because moving the focus feels like moving naturally on a single giant plane. E.g. moving down moves to the next workspace, then moving to the left moves to the left monitor, where I could move up to the workspace above etc.

It’s difficult to explain for me, so I recommend giving it a try (or maybe wait a while, depending on your needs, e.g. there’s no VRR, no window rules etc. Also, currently monitors have to be aligned at the top edge to be recognised as side by side. If they aren’t, moving between monitors and workspaces doesn’t behave right.).