• mako
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

This will get RISC-V probably a big boost. Maybe this was not the smartest move for ARMs long term future. But slapping Qualcomm is always a good idea, its just such a shitty company.

• dust_accelerator
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

True, I just wished RISCV laptops were slightly more developed and available. As of now, the specs aren’t there yet in those devices that are available. (8core@2Ghz, but only 16GB Ram, too little for me)

Kind of a bummer, was coming up to a work laptop upgrade soon and was carefully watching the Linux support for Snapdragon X because I can’t bring myself to deal with Apple shenanigans, but like the idea of performance and efficiency. The caution with which I approached it stems from my “I don’t really believe a fucking thing Qualcomm Marketing says” mentality, and it seems holding off and watching was the right call. Oh well, x86 for another cycle, I guess.

• NeoNachtwaechter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 hours ago

You are overestimating RISC-V. It cannot save the planet alone.

ARM provides complete chip designs.

RISC-V is more like an API, and then you still need to design your chips behind it.

• ilmagico@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

I could be wrong, but I think Qualcomm designs its own chips and only licenses the “API”, so it would be no difference for them.

• falkerie71@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

If they use Cortex cores, they are ARM designs. Oryon cores are in house based on Nuvia designs, and I assume it would still require a complete chip redesign if they decide to switch to RISC-V.

• LiPoly@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

From my understanding, most companies take the reference design from Arm and then alter it to fit their needs.

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            54 minutes ago

That’s a big part of what’s going on. ARM is trying to move into Qualcomm’s traditional business while Qualcomm is trying to move in ARM’s traditional business.

"Under Chief Executive Officer Rene Haas, Arm has shifted to offering more complete designs — ones that companies can take directly to contract manufacturers. Haas believes that his company, still majority owned by Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp., should be rewarded more for the engineering work it does. That shift encroaches on the business of Arm’s traditional customers, like Qualcomm, who use Arm’s technology in their own final chip designs.

Meanwhile, under CEO Cristiano Amon, Qualcomm is moving away from using Arm designs and is prioritizing its own work, something that potentially makes it a less lucrative customer for Arm. He’s also expanding into new areas, most notably computing, where Arm is making its own push. But the two companies’ technologies remain intertwined, and Qualcomm isn’t yet in a position to make a clean break from Arm."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/arm-to-cancel-qualcomm-chip-design-license-in-escalation-of-feud/ar-AA1sK49J

• mako
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

Of course i will still take RISC-V a long time to be even relevant. But in the future there could be multiple Companies that offer finished chip designs to use. As you said not every company wants and can create a design themself.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

I’ll wait and see. RISC-V is a nice idea, but there are way too many different “standards” to make it a viable ecosystem.