• TwistyLex
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I recently built a 3D printer where the entire community for it lives on Discord. Their website instructions are horrifically out of date because all of the current changes have been discussed at some point on Discord. What should have been a 2-4 day project turned into a 2-3 week project due to the garbage involved in trying to strain information out of a massive multi-channel group chat with terrible search.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It wastes everyone’s time. The project maintainers have to keep answering the same questions, and the users don’t have instant access to answers

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Why would any sane developer want to use this system to “document” their project? Written docs have worked well for a million years and there’s no need to change them.

• max@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m afraid they’re talking about the Voron printers, which are really great printers.

• cuacamole@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

The instructions on the Web are pretty good, unless you start messing with Tons of mods, but thats your own fault.

• max@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

True, but they have access to so many better ways of documenting stuff…

• Ajen@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

You’re probably right, but I can think of a couple other 3d printing projects that have the same issue.