• @Kwdg
    link
    2510 months ago

I mean if oyu don’t like it, then don’t use it or install an extension. I never missed a bar at the bottom and can find all open windows in the overview very quickly

• @TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      510 months ago

Yes but extensions work to a degree and not out of the box. For instance, when they abandoned desktop icons a long time ago we never had and extension that delivered the same polished experience.

• @thegreenguy@sopuli.xyzOP
        link
        fedilink
        510 months ago

GNOME has some quite strict design guidelines (a “vision”, if you will). And sticking to that a vision has enabled them to create a very polished DE (probably the most polished DE on Linux). What people get wrong is that GNOME wasn’t really made for desktops. It was made for mobile devices (laptops, tablets, and in the future phones). Using GNOME on a “proper” mobile device really makes sense. No, that doesn’t mean using a laptop connected to an external monitor all the time, or just using it at a desk all the time. It means using a laptop as a laptops, going out and about, using it without a mouse and using it with it’s internal display.

• @ikidd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          910 months ago

GNOME wasn’t really made for desktops

I can certainly believe that. Yet, pretty much every desktop distro ships it as the default, which boggles my mind.

• @thegreenguy@sopuli.xyzOP
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Well GNOME is the most polished, which means it eneded up being the most popular, which means GTK has the most apps, which makes GNOME look very polished, and the cycle repeats itself.

Also the vast majority of people use laptops, not desktops.

• pitninja
              link
              fedilink
              English
              710 months ago

Why not? Plasma is much more usable out of the box for many users including myself. GNOME’s out of the box experience is really lacking IMHO and requires me to install and configure several extensions just to get what I consider to be a functional UI. I know they have this vision for how they want people to use their OS, but that vision is not aligned with how I actually want to use it. The best way distros can vote against the design choices of GNOME is by making something else the default. The problem I have is that I generally prefer GNOME’s app suite to KDE’s, so that makes the decision a bit more complicated for me.

• lemmyvore
              link
              fedilink
              English
              210 months ago

XFCE. Just as mature, also GTK-based, and a truly happy medium between predefined choices and customization without excessive complexity.

• alteropen
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

@thegreenguy @TCB13 yep this exactly I first used gnome on a laptop and the experience is great the gesture support makes all the workspaces and different overviews work perfectly

then I started using it on desktop and it just doesn’t work the same. it feels clunky and far from as smooth.

• Julian
        link
        fedilink
        English
        110 months ago

Just use one of the 50 gnome 3 forks