• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Sure, some people work better when surrounded by colleagues. Those people usually know that and will seek out on-site work, because it probably also makes them happier.

People who are more efficient at home probably also feel better at home and will seek out remote work.

If you want a much smaller hiring pool, more office upkeep costs and more transport emissions, sure make everyone come into the office… it’s so dumb to do this.

IMO if your sector lends itself to remote work and it’s not working for your company, you’re doing something else wrong.

• Nalivai
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

A lot of my colleagues want for everyone to be in office. Their justification is “well, when everyone is in office, I can just walk to a person and ask them for help”. Which is why it’s a bit annoying to work there as a knowledgeable person, everyone always asking you to help them, constantly.
      Guess where are all the knowledgeable people going.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

As a more extroverted person and a people-pleaser, people wanting my help is the dream. Also great for negotiating wages.

But yeah I can see how it can be annoying too!

• Nalivai
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s nice sometimes, when you don’t have anything better to do. Sharing the knowledge is a genuine pleasure.
          It’s infuriating if you need to focus on something.

• danielton@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Sure, some people work better when surrounded by colleagues. Those people usually know that and will seek out on-site work, because it probably also makes them happier.

Bingo, some of us actually do like to get out of the house and physically go to work. It seems like everybody except corporate shills think that the whole world wants to work from home, but it would honestly drive me crazy.

But as you said, people like me are going to seek out jobs where that’s the expectation at the outset. It’s shitty to pull a bait and switch and force everybody to come in when they are used to working from home.

• Knightfox@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Broski, my commute is typically 45 min by car each way. On the days I’m in the office I work 10+ days to avoid the traffic.

• danielton@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Ok, but just because you prefer working from home and have a long commute doesn’t mean everybody else does.