• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I see. Yes, having a backup community makes sense, but at the same time, I always feel like having both similar communities creates a lot of other issues.

I never really know if I should post on !fediverse@lemmy.ml or !fediverse@lemmy.world for instance. I usually do it on the .ml one because it seems more active, but I also feed bad for people only on the .world who might miss content

• spez@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

but I also feed bad for people only on the .world who might miss content

That doesn’t happen because everything is federated, the .world users will also see the posts on .ml, they can upvote/downvote, comment etc. and vice-versa.

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I know it’s true in theory, but in practice I have seen some LW users only wanting to browse their local feed, or not wanting to subscribe to .ml communities.

Another issue with having the same content posted twice is that the same discussion could just happen twice, bringing discussion fatigue to the people that just discussed the same topic in another thread.

• Lucia [she/her]@eviltoast.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I have seen some LW users only wanting to browse their local feed, or not wanting to subscribe to .ml communities.

We shouldn’t centralise Lemmy just because some users treat it as such.