Google stans are ignorant as hell.

• ShittyRedditWasBetter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Seems like they are pretty informed. Or are you just mad he’s calling out over zealous privacy advocates who ensure nobody will ever take them seriously because they bitched about TikTok for 5 years.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Let’s have a bit more of a objective discussion here:

Privacy advocates are trying to keep you from being transparent to corporations, law enforcement and criminals because they see the patterns that can lead to very bad outcomes. E.g. people being falsely targeted by ai face recognition that was on the news recently

„Stans“ are referring to people identifying with something. In the case of firefox, people identify with privacy and freedom. Those are elemental parts of democracy. The opposite side here is advocating on behalf of corporations who rake in billions in profit, buy up land and real estate, control markets and you can actually see those being subject to lawsuits both by the government and citizens for breaking the law, selling your data and going full send on their profits instead of caring about the communities they operate in.

So, the term „well informed“ is kind of self defeating here as gobbling up corpo koolaid is not really „informed“. It’s also the same that conspiracy theorists say. Actually listening to the arguments is what does the trick.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Your error is assuming there are only two polar opposites, and thus assuming because I’m not a Firefox stan, that I am advocating for corporations.

One can be privacy-conscious and still sick of the constant guilt-tripping by the hardcore Firefox fandom.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Rhetorical trick: You‘re misrepresenting what I said to make it sound illogical.

I never said there are only these. What I said is that there are strong arguments for privacy friendly software and people are actively trying to educate others on this topic.

You‘re also assuming someone is guilt tripping you, either because you actually have that wrong impression or to make it sound more problematic.

Nobody cares what browser you use. We shit on google, not on you. You‘re the one injecting themselves into this conversation and trolling people with fake „calling them out“ while you‘re the one using all kinds of techniques to bully your way to „being right“.

If you‘d actually compare arguments, you‘d have to give up so you don’t do it.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

You‘re also assuming someone is guilt tripping you

This is actually a thing, because it’s the best argument Firefox fans have to get someone to switch to it.

“If you don’t use Firefox, you’re supporting the Chromium monopoly”. It’s the whole point of all those Firefox memes that have been popping up lately.

• Haui
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

you‘re obviously not willing or able to use actual arguments in this conversation so I will have to opt out. I can recommend local bars where you can exchange your baseless aggression with others. Good luck.

• ShittyRedditWasBetter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Privacy advocates are trying to keep you from being transparent to corporations, law enforcement and criminals because they see the patterns that can lead to very bad outcomes. E.g. people being falsely targeted by ai face recognition that was on the news recently

I don’t think that’s where it ends. If it was I think we’d mostly be on the same page. Constantly telling people to ditch services they enjoy such as TikTok, Facebook, Google, etc. Continued vague references to devices listening to you that really aren’t. Constantly pointing out targeted ads as something that most people really couldn’t care less. And if you say that, “you just don’t understand what the data can be used for”. It’s all highly condescending and created a weariness to the community. They’ve become vista UAC.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

First, please drop the attitude because you‘re actively being condescending yourself atm.

Secondly, the argument itself becomes a problem here:

Constantly telling people to ditch services they enjoy…

„Constantly“ is a rhetorical overstatement. Nobody is constantly doing anything. You are annoyed and that is ok.

I honestly don’t care about tiktok and therefore have no opinion on its privacy issues except stuff I heard.

But from facebook I did download a package of my data since the gdpr forced them to comply and give users their data.

I used facebook a year or so when it was new and once every quarter since then.

The data consisted of most sites I visited before and after visiting facebook. Stuff I bought, stuff I looked at.

And that is not all. I‘m constantly getting scam mails referencing an old address of mine. Guess where this address (exclusively) is still noted. Correct, at facebook.

So, you absolutely don’t need to do anything. Just know that facebook (the others too but facebook the hardest) actively sells your userdata and behavioral data to make money.

They are actively being fined tens of thousands of dollars a day by european governments for „leaking“ userdata.

So, I‘m fine with anyone doing what they want. Just dont school me on privacy.