• Nougat@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I have an insanely large number of things to say. I like to think and come to conclusions, and then check my rationale by having a discussion with other people about it. Nobody wants to do this in person, also I am old and people get busy when they’re old.

A couple days ago, I wrote a “paper” titled “Donald Trump is Going to Prison,” in order to sort through all the things I know and craft them into a picture, so that I can make sense of current events. I updated it with some additional information last night, and I will probably continue to do so. Talking/writing out my ideas is how I am able to better understand the world, and I very much like to have those ideas challenged.

Online forums are a fantastic place to do that.

• Nougat@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

That would mean I would have to make a committment, and we all know that’s not going to happen.

But thank you. Seriously, not kidding. If you are actually interested in anything I think, you can find what I think in my comment history here.

• ElTacoEsMiPastor@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Exactly! That, and I can tweak my writing to see if it conveys what I want. I cannot just hit ctrl+z when I’m talking.

Most times I feel I’m having these galaxy-brain thoughts but they come across as pea-brain sentences when trying to articulate them (how long is long enough for a rant/explanation?). Going meta has also not gone well for me. By that I mean discussing about how we’re discussing the topic at hand. It seems to be shrugged off as a tangent or distraction, when I believe it’s a good baseline for the current and future conversations I might have with the person.

Discourse online is better suited for the exchanges I like to have with others (such as the folks on this very thread), because arguments can be better fleshed out and people are less afraid to share their rationale. Ideas and perspectives can clash, but it’s not necessarily bad. Just like peer review in science papers.