Its even worse when you force Firefox to use wayland its icon doesn’t even show.

Edit: Oh since everyone now is confused; I only have the flatpak version of Firefox installed yet it doesn’t use the pinned icon and doesn’t even use the firefox icon under wayland at all.

• t_uxio
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

deleted by creator

• TheInsane42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Why would you need another package manager next to the one supplied with the distro? The one that is supplied has packages that are tested and guaranteed to work (when on a stable release).

Yes, they are (sometimes very) outdated, but those packages are working. Additional package managers just add to the dependency hell (introducing bugs).

• Sharp312@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s kinda one size fits all solution. It allows Devs to build their package one way and have it on pretty much every distro, which is a major sticking point for Linux apps. I don’t see why you would use a flatpaks if your distro has the software already though. I use flatpaks alot less now that I’ve moved to endeavour from fedora. The AUR is a godsend.

Also flatpak doesn’t add to dependency hell, the dependencies it installs are also flatpaks and are completely separate from the system. Recently the arch package of steam simply stopped launching proton games for some reason, I thought I messed something up on my system so I rolled to an old btrfs snapshot and it still didn’t work. However the flatpak version of steam just works.

• Hovenko@iusearchlinux.fyi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Do you realize why is that? That Dev will build the package once lifetime and dont give a shit about proper testing nor updating libraries. And your home dir is probably exposed to this buggy craphole.

https://openqa.opensuse.org This is what an update goes through when a proper QA process is applied in a standard distro packaging system. This is what flatpak does not ever comes close to. Flatpak is just windows approach ported to linux. Quality and trust comes from package to package and can vary from good to dogwater.

Btw not sure you realize you are complaining about broken package on bleeding edge distro.

• Sharp312@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Lmao, why are you so agressive? It’s a packaging format not bloody politics. I never complained about anything, I stated that one package format was broken and the flatpak wasn’t. The mere existence of flatpaks does not and will never threaten the traditional packaging method, or it’s QA. Flatpaks merely provide smaller developers an easy way to get their application published, as well as end users a stress free way to install said apps. And yes, they can range from good to dogshit, that comes with the territory of leaving it entirely up to the publishers, but I think Linux users are capable of identifying which flatpaks are dogshit and which aren’t. Also what do you mean my home dir is probably exposed? Like it isn’t exposed when I install a regular package? Remember the steam bug that just completely wiped your install because they made an assumption with a single variable? Buggy software will always exist, at least with flatpak you can limit an apps access to your system

• Hovenko@iusearchlinux.fyi
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Please stop projecting on others, that would be nice.

Yes, your home is exposed on both sides. One side tested in proper QA, the other in “trust me bro” env. Lol…. one moment you say that bugs happen and right after that you generalize everything based on one shit that happened on steam package. First you say you are not complaining about anything but then you go to “flatpak better!!!”. Fisrt you say flatpak security is good and when you should back your claims you go with “Linux users detect bugs and security holes very good. Of course they do… after the system goes tits up :D

So… either please stop talking nonsense or present some facts that try to back that nonsense at least.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Flatpak is a last resort. Only used when the package is not available on the repository or the version is too out of sync with the environment. If I really really need to run the latest version of that software, it’s easy to run a Flatpak. But that is only and exclusively for final user software, never for services or background running application, or a new can of worms is opened.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

what? They suck on ubuntu/debian-based distros like mint and pop os, they suck even more on arch, and i hate them as a developer.