Its even worse when you force Firefox to use wayland its icon doesn’t even show.

Edit: Oh since everyone now is confused; I only have the flatpak version of Firefox installed yet it doesn’t use the pinned icon and doesn’t even use the firefox icon under wayland at all.

• heimchen
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I use gnome and it works with custom Icons so 🫥

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah I’m a heavy flatpak user on both Gnome and KDE and this only happens on KDE for me. Maybe it’ll get sorted in Plasma 6.

• BearPear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I use flatpak and I actually like it. It is one of the ways I can get up to date packages on Debian.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As you could if you used Testing or Unstable. Also, just because you like it doesn’t mean it’s good. People also use and like crack.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Very simple. Debian Testing is rolling distro and has fairly fresh versions, usually couple of months behind. Debian Unstable has all the bleeding edge stuff, also rolling. Neither is unstable and insecure as most would expect. If you want non-Debian, there’s always Arch and Manjaro.

• xyz@lemmus.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I don’t get it. Do you have two versions of Firefox installed?

• Square Singer@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Don’t know about the OP, but I only have one version installed. If I don’t have it open, a single icon shows on the task bar. If I press that icon, FF opens and a second icon shows up, that represents only the opened FF, while the original icon remains.

• warmaster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

What are you talking about ? isn’t the firefox icon on the left a standard app from a distro repo instead of a flatpak like the one on the right ?

• lockedcasket@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

In that particular screenshot I believe you’re right: the one on the left is Firefox ESR while the icon on the right is whatever flatpak version available.

But I know what OP is referring to as it is a open bug currently, the DE don’t doesn’t recognize the launched instance as the pinned program due to the way Flatpak launched apps. Not an issue with Firefox in particular

• dorumon@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I actually took the screenshot myself and yes it is a bug* specifically with Flatpak.

• PoopBuffet69@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I am having the same thing at the moment with the Firefox snap package under Ubuntu. Except as well as this, when it updates it seems to take out everything else pinned to the task bar with it. Maybe it’s not Firefox doing that, but since I stopped pinning FF it has stopped happening.

• dorumon@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

No no I only have the flatpak version of firefox installed yet in my taskbar it doesn’t use the pinned icon and on wayland it doesn’t have an icon at all.

• DeeBeeDouble@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use the Firefox flatpak on multiple different desktops and distros and I’ve never seen this issue. All on wayland (no difference on x11 either). Weird.

• shotgun_crab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m using KDE + Firefox Flatpak + Papirus Icons and I haven’t had this issue (so far). Could it be an icon pack issue or something similar? Otherwise yeah it’s either KDE or the flatpak

• toasterboi0100@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Is this really a flatpak issue? I’ve been dealing with this with Firefox periodically for many years, even before flatpak

• halfempty@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I never intend to use a flatpak or snap, and avoid them like the plague. The whole concept is incredibly ugly to me, and wasteful of computer resources.

• BlueBockser@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The whole concept is incredibly ugly

Depends on the viewpoint. As a software consumer, sure. As a software producer though, not having to deal with with tons of different packaging formats and repositories for different distributions and versions is a blessing.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It wastes resources on the consumer side to free up resources on the developer side, allowing for more time spent on improving the software instead of worrying about millions of different system setup combinations.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Pretty much typical these days. Developers will often use metric tons of middleware hell to avoid writing one function or using native library. What’s that, GTK or Qt require few days to learn. Naah, I’ll just include whole browser with my application and write interface in HTML/CSS. Who cares about people’s configuration, accessibility needs, battery life, screen readers, etc.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

There are of course two sides of the story, and you are right that it causes performance/battery life issues. Including a browser does actually improve the situation with screen readers and such.

The big advantage of the “include a browser/large framework” solution is that it allows you to write the application once and use it on web, Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, some weird TV OS, a game console or someone’s car.

Without some middleware you’d be writing 10 different versions and every one would need it’s own native libraries that are “just a few days to learn” and “just a few dozen days to master” and only “a few hundred hours to implement and maintain”, and the result would be what we had in the 2000s: “Sorry, we do not support Linux.”

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

I’d rather developers don’t support Linux than make Electron application and say “there we go, good enough right”. Because it’s not. When it comes to accessibility, no those applications are not better. You might be thinking their UI is easier to scale and increase contrast but literally none of them respect system theme, colors, font choices.

Some middleware is fine, however blindly importing just about anything is very dangerous and lazy. Cargo cult programming is so widespread am surprised hardware is keeping up with the demand. There’s always the right tool for the job and the wrong tool for the job. Just because you can drive nails with a rock, doesn’t mean you should, nor you see any carpenter doing it.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

I’d rather developers don’t support Linux than make Electron application

Hard disagree. I’d rather run an Electron application than having to side-load Windows for some application I actually need. Also, you don’t have to install Electron applications, so if you want you can just pretend they don’t support Linux.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Since when is theming aaccessibility? That’s customizability.

But you can have your wishes easily. If you prefer no Linux support over an Electron app, just don’t install the Electron app and you get the same result.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Consider yourself lucky that you are not visually impaired and need high contrast and/or large themes.

• rambaroo@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                10 months ago

Most native Linux apps have absolutely shit keyboard navigation and screen reader support, if they even bothered testing it at all. So yes web apps are far better for accessibility.

I’m sick of purists who don’t know they’re talking about. If it was up to you there’d be zero growth in Linux and you’d actually be happy with that. Electron exists to put software on multiple OSes at low cost. It’s a good thing. App devs are just jealous that they’re getting replaced by web and mobile devs, both of whom they’ve shat on for decades.

Karma’s a bitch. It isn’t the 90s anymore, the time to move on and learn a worthwhile stack was 15 years ago. If you’re so good then surely you can bring your genius level skills to a web team and show them how it’s done.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

You assumption that I am clueless just shows you have no idea what you are talking about so I’ll end up all arguments there. If you wish to prove me wrong, find me one Electron based application which supports high contrast themes and actually took care not to use colors that are problematic to color blindness.

• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Am a developer and I can very much agree on package managers have nasty configuration, but at the same time flatpak is the exact same thing. No different that any other package. Except now you have to learn yet another standard that’s even less popular than major ones. You can even claim it’s easier, but the fact remains it’s not the defacto standard, so you still have to provide other packages as well as flatpak if you wish to do so.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

flatpak isn’t the same because you only have to learn one packaging format and can distribute to virtually any system out there. I really don’t see why you’d also package for every distro individually then. Installing flatpak isn’t that hard, it not being “the defacto standard” shouldn’t be an issue.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

You aren’t owed a native package for whatever OS you’re using. In fact, you should be thankful that flatpak exists because the most common alternative is piping wget into shell.

And if you care so much about security, just build your stuff from source. Whether flatpak or apt, at some point you will run third-party code.

• BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

What do you know about someone on the other side of the keyboard, nothing 🙄

Hope it helps you be annoyed at me because I don’t like flatpak and snap.

• BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yesterday I freed up 6GB of diskspace by uninstalling a single flatpak app and running

flatpak uninstall --unused

Somehow flatpak had grown to fill the disk over the years, my installation is about 5 years old, and I have only used flatpak very sparingly.

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I don’t really understand why you would do anything other than native install unless you really, really need the performance.

Edit: 5 months later and I recognize this was a shit take.

• Intralexical@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

bwrap is so much better without Flatpak.

To start you off: $ bwrap --dev-bind / / --tmpfs ~ bash

This basically gives you a shell in a clean virtual home directory (but no meaningful security improvement yet). You can test new builds of software as if you have only the default settings. If you need to access files, move them to /tmp/.

To see the clean virtual home directory, replace --tmpfs ~ with --bind "$(mktemp -d)" ~. You can browse it where mktemp puts it (usually /tmp/*).

To start to lock down security, replace the --dev-bind with --ro-bind, and add various --new-session, --uid/--gid, and --unshare-all/--unshare-* flags. You can run untrusted and semi-trusted/less-trusted applications with less security risk this way (as long as you’re aware of pitfalls, such as the /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 socket and other possible avenues of escape).

To block network access, use --unshare-net or --unshare-all. To virtualize /dev and /proc, use --dev /dev and --proc /proc.

Some programs might need --dev-bind /dev/dri /dev/dri for graphics driver access, or similar constructs.

EDIT: …I actually created a way to create completely portable application executables for Linux by using bwrap (or proot, as a fallback) to virtualize a Nix root from inside an AppImage, earlier this year. bwrap offers a lot of granularity in modifying and containing the virtual environment, to the degree that you can basically emulate an entire guest OS/distro on top of the host distro, without even needing root privileges— And without even needing bwrap itself to be installed, since it can work using entirely standard Linux kernel features.

• UltraBlack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

the scuffed difference between my normal theming and flatpak theming is the only reason why I despise flatpak. I cannot for t he life of me get it to do what I want it to do. Flatpak containers are also kinda annoying to access

• darcy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

the only reason to use flatpaks is if your system doesnt come with a good package manager and repositories (pacman+aur, nix, etc), and dont want to build from source.

snaps, on the other hand, should be avoided at all costs imo.

• Rooty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Or if the repos contain outdated versions of the software. And yes, snaps are cancer, still cannot avoid them. 🥲

• ASK_ME_ABOUT_LOOM@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Could you elaborate on snaps? I’ve used them here and there and people seem to have really strong opinions on snap that I just don’t understand.

• Rooty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Tied to proprieatry backend, snap store looks like ass and runs like one, spawns loop devices that mess up the /mnt folder, tied to fake .deb packages that install snaps instead. Basically, a lot of proprieatry nonsense that St. Ignucius frowns upon.