• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

There are children starving, why are you wasting money on an internet subscription? Or electricity for that matter. You monster. /s

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

That would make sense if I was literally in charge of their welfare…

Or if I took money from their families to pay for moon missions

• smallaubergine@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Or if I took money from their families to pay for moon missions

That’s not how large democracies work, my friend. It’s not some dictatorship they can instantly move money around to solve problems with. In fact India spends WAYYYYYY more on welfare than it does on ISRO. It’s something like 2 billion USD to 250 billion USD. In fact the problem isn’t just money its how its distributed, corruption, etc. If the Indian government decided to defund ISRO and put that money to welfare, it would be a tiny drop in a massive bucket. Defunding ISRO would also have major ramifications on their aerospace industry, many thousands would be out of jobs, those with higher educations would leave the country to find opportunities. Have you looked at how India is doing with abject poverty in the past 20 years? The graphs are all trending down. Is it perfect? absolutely not. Every country could do something better, India has a lot of things it needs to work on. In my opinion, building up its own indigienous space industry is a net positive for India and is not taking money away from poor people.

What I’m getting at is it’s so easy to criticize a nation for their faults without looking at the complex socioeconomic and political issues at hand.