Hello everyone,

Opening this thread as a kind of follow-up on my thread yesterday about the drop in monthly active users on !fediverse@lemmy.ml.

As I pointed in the thread, I personally think that having some consolidated core communities would be a better solution for content discovery, information being posted only once, and overall community activity.

One of the examples of the issue of having two (or more) exactly similar Fediverse communities (!fediverse@lemmy.world and !fediverse@lemmy.ml ) is that is leads to

• people having to subscribe to both to see the content
  • posters having to crosspost to both
  • comment being spread across the crossposts instead of having all of the discussion and reactions happening in the same place.

I am very well aware of the decentralized aspect of Lemmy being one of its core features, but it seems that it can be detrimental when the co-existing communities are exactly the same.

We are talking about different news seen from the US or Europe, or a piece of news discussed in places with different political orientations.

The two Fediverse communities look identical, there is no specific editorial line. The difference in the audience is due to the federation decisions of the instances, but that’s pretty much it, and as the topic of the community is the Fediverse itself, the community should probably be the one accessible from most of the Fediverse users.

What do you think?

Also, as a reminder, please be respectful in the comments, it’s either one of the rules of the community or the instance. Disagreeing is fine, but no need to be disrespectful.

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I think the issue I have is that I feel that in the last few days, the content seems more stale.

That’s why I had a look at active users and noted that we were fewer.

One potential way to address this would be to have one community to be the announcement one to the rest of the Fediverse.

Today, it feels like getting information to people is a hassle. They arrive on the platform, they subscribe to the top communities, and then what? How are they supposed to learn about LASIM, that if they move to a smaller instance for better performance they might have to ask their admin to run LCS to get a populated All feed, that they can have a look at !trendingcommunities@feddit.nl for rising communities?

We probably lack a reference website to answer all of these questions.

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The solution is to stop subscribing to one of them. Eventually, if people follow this method, one will die out.

If the content is the same on each one with prime cross posting each time, then you aren’t missing anything anyway

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

The issue is that due to the different defederation policies, some of the users don’t really have a choice.

Hexbear, the 8th largest Lemmy instance, cannot access !fediverse@lemmy.world. They have to access !fediverse@lemmy.ml.

On the other side, some users don’t want to subscribe to the LW version due to some decision of the LW admins.

So in the end anyone posting have to do it twice. And when it gets to cumbersome to post, people just stop doing that and go back to Reddit when it’s more simple.

Edit: also see this type of comments

I wish apps would hide duplicate posts. People that crosspost everything results in my feed having double everything because I subscribe to both. It’s super annoying, and I’m tempted to leave one of them, but I don’t want to miss anything because they’re comparable in size.

https://discuss.tchncs.de/comment/2317684

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Maybe you didn’t understand what I wrote? Stop subscribing to both. Only interact with one. If that’s the one people agree with, the other will die.

There is literally no reason to cross post to both of them. Stop doing that. Stop subscribing to both. Pick one and let the other die. The entire reason there are two is because you keep subscribing and posting to both of them. It will continue to be that way until you be the change you want to see.

If your instance has defederated, maybe it’s time to find a new instance that isn’t a POS? Every user has a choice. You can choose to go to an instance that isn’t reactionary and arbitrary in their defederation policies. The whole point of the Fediverse is so you DO have a choice; that’s the foundation of the entire Fediverse. There are many instances that are federated with both if you are wanting content from both. Just because one instance defederates from another doesn’t somehow now make you beholden to one instance.

• BlazeOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Well, it seems like you didn’t understand what I wrote either.

Stop subscribing to both. Pick one and let the other die.

User A on Hexbear doesn’t have to choose, he can only access to lemmy.ml. He posts there. He has no option to choose the other one due to the defederation.

User B on Lemmy.world chooses lemmy.world. He posts there.

If that’s the one people agree with, the other will die.

How is any of those communities going to die if people keep posting to both?

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

User A on Hexbear doesn’t have to choose, he can only access to lemmy.ml. He posts there. He has no option to choose the other one due to the defederation.

User B on Lemmy.world chooses lemmy.world. He posts there.

I understood what you wrote, but you are still not making any sense. A huser on Hexbear, if he wants to access fediverse@lemmy.world goes to another server that has access to that. There is a choice. If the instance you are signed up at is defederating like idiots (such as Hexbear), then move elsewhere. It’s a simple choice. It’s anything but “Having no options”

How is any of those communities going to die if people keep posting to both?

Exactly. Stop. You are creating the problem you are complaining about. Stop doing that and the problem goes away.

• BlazeOP
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

If the instance you are signed up at is defederating like idiots (such as Hexbear),

Sh.itjust.works, the 4th biggest instance, is defederated by beehaw, the 7th largest instance.

Should the 2357 monthly active users of Sh.itjust.works just leave to another instance to be able to access Beehaw communities?

Stop doing that and the problem goes away.

You can also yourself choose only one community and only see the content once. Then your problem goes away.

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Sh.itjust.works, the 4th biggest instance, is defederated by beehaw, the 7th largest instance.

Should the 2357 monthly active users of Sh.itjust.works just leave to another instance to be able to access Beehaw communities?

Literally yes. That is how it works. If you don’t like the federation policies of any given instance, MOVE. There is no reason to stick around an instance that has shitty policies. Why can’t you understand this?

You can also yourself choose only one community and only see the content once. Then your problem goes away.

I don’t have a problem. You are the one that has a problem with it. I subscribe to one community. My server doesn’t defederate from anyone. I literally have zero problems of the type you are describing. Your problems are self-made. They aren’t a problem with Lemmy, they are a problem with you putting yourself into that situation. It’s the literal translation of the meme with the kid on the bike sticking the branch in his wheel and then blaming the bike when he crashes.

• BlazeOP
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    10 months ago

Literally yes. That is how it works. If you don’t like the federation policies of any given instance, MOVE. There is no reason to stick around an instance that has shitty policies. Why can’t you understand this?

Well, good luck selling them that.

And good luck telling people not to crosspost when the audience is so fragmented.

I guess we can just agree to disagree.