• Zaphod
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is news? I thought we already knew that loke one year or more ago…

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

We’ve basically known it since germ theory, or maybe before. Still, it doesn’t hurt to have the study to point crazy people to. They won’t believe it, but it at least ensure anyone else reading might not trust them.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Yep, they lied to people in an attempt to save the supply of masks for people in health care because there weren’t enough stockpiled. And they wonder why people don’t trust them anymore.

• Hyperi0n@lemmy.film
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Thier motivations. The CDC was in a scramble and early theories were contradictions of one another.

Level one medical masks will not prevent you from getting COVID.

The CDC recommended everyone to wear level one and then eventually level two masks to prevent the spread to others.

It was around the time that a lot of people were asymptomatic carries of the virus and was spreading it.

There was an initial issue with getting masks for hosiptals but it was mainly supply chain issues. China was fairly quickly able to adapt to the changes.

Hand sanitizer was the biggest issue. Everyone was buying that up right away.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

It’s the explanation given by even liberal news outlets.

The full source from CNN

I’ll concede that they didn’t know the specific mechanisms of the virus (hence hand sanitizer despite it mostly doing nothing), but it was pretty clearly respiratory (given its close relatives SARS and MERS) and, well, masks work against that. Also to clarify my position so you don’t get the wrong idea, I’m radically pro-mask and think that repealing the mandates was and is social murder.

• Hyperi0n@lemmy.film
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

https://www.factcheck.org/2022/08/correcting-misinformation-about-dr-fauci/

"At the time, Fauci said he was “not against” anyone wearing a mask if they wanted to, but he warned that if everyone wore them it “could lead to a shortage of masks for the people who really need it,” particularly health care providers and people who were ill.

Then in April 2020, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that everyone wear face coverings in public because of virus transmission from asymptomatic carriers, Fauci also began encouraging universal mask use. He said in an interview two months later that he and other health officials truly did not realize the degree to which infected people without symptoms were spreading the virus, which led to the shift in masking guidance. That does not mean that he “lied” to the public."

Fauci wasn’t part of the CDC. His opinion was incorrect and he swiftly corrected himself when he had seen the right information. His earlier statement was in Feb and was misfounded.

There were no mask shortages like there was no toilet paper shortages.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I remember it as saying they won’t be perfect and won’t help enough, and also that people in critical positions (Healthcare specifically) needed them and the supply was limited. I don’t think I ever heard from an official source that they wouldn’t help, but I’ve heard many people say they said that.

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Here is an overview of how the government’s recommendations changed over time. They were explicitly advising against wearing face masks and saying they don’t work. Ex:

U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams tweets that wearing a face mask will not prevent the public from contracting the novel coronavirus.

“Seriously people — STOP BUYING MASKS!” he wrote in a tweet that was later deleted. “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus