• BennyHill500
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

why does every instance need to host all content if i can just follow a community on a different instance for that sort of content?

• Guy Dudeman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Exactly. There’s already an entire instance dedicated to nsfw (Lemmynsfw.com). I don’t see why any other instances need to host that stuff. It just exposes them to liability. Better to have it centralized into one instance anyway.

That’s not to say that instances shouldn’t allow nsfw if they want to, I just don’t see the point.

• angstylittlecatboy@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

While I don’t think every instance needs to host everything, I think the most popular instances being a bunch that don’t host NSFW and one that only hosts NSFW is an issue. I don’t blame instance admins, as NSFW content introduces additional difficulties, but it still doesn’t necessarily look the best.

I know the going advice is “choose a medium popularity instance” which I did, but it took me a while to find one that allowed NSFW but wasn’t NSFW-only.

• thepianistfroggollum@lemmynsfw.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Some instances have defederated from the NSFW instances because the admins couldn’t believe that a petite woman with braces who was confirmed to be an adult wasn’t actually a child being exploited.