As a reminder, the PlayStation Portal, or Project Q, is (according to leaks) based on Android. It doesn’t run the games itself, it merely streams them from your PS5 and your handheld then serves as a controller with its own display.

I’m wondering why anyone would prefer that over simply using a regular Android phone with a good controller and the PS Remote Play app?

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Standard Bluetooth latency sucks, and would doubly suck having to stream the audio-video to the handheld and then Bluetooth it to the headphones. That’s why high end wireless gaming headsets game with a 2.4ghz dongle instead of using bt.

The thing has an audio jack. You could literally buy wired headphones/earbuds from the damned dollar store if you don’t already have a pair lying around and then have 0 latency. It would be dumb to use anything for a handheld like this besides wired headphones.

• inclementimmigrant@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

There are low latency codex for BT that work well and if you’re streaming anyways, audio latency is the least of your concerns, like you’ve stated.

I just think that creating a “portable gaming handheld” without the option for Bluetooth is a crappy decision to not give gamers the option. The steam deck offers it, the variants offer it, hell even the switch offers it now.

I also think it’s even a worse slap in the face for PlayStation fans with Sony’s decision to make it so it’s not compatible with it’s current wireless PS5 headset and instead making their fans buy another set of headphones that cost nearly as much as their dumb terminal.