As a reminder, the PlayStation Portal, or Project Q, is (according to leaks) based on Android. It doesn’t run the games itself, it merely streams them from your PS5 and your handheld then serves as a controller with its own display.

I’m wondering why anyone would prefer that over simply using a regular Android phone with a good controller and the PS Remote Play app?

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Ergonomics wise, but can you have those where it can charge it at the same time, do you want to wear out your $1000 cell phone battery, and I doubt any of those controllers work as nicely as a ps5 controller. Plus the screen is smaller and you won’t have a lag free audio jack.

Plus the good ones that you attach to phones are already $100. At that point I’d rather spend an extra $100 to have something better, bigger, and dedicated?

• dingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah there’s a lot of give and take I suppose. There’s also an advantage to the split controller attachment model in that it’s more portable than a giant honking Steam deck tho I suppose.