Hello, all! Longtime lurker on Reddit and now on Lemmy. I’ve tried looking into getting out of the US as things aren’t looking too great as I’m sure many of you know, but wanted some tips from those of us who have gotten out. Where did you decide to move to, and what were the things you looked at when deciding to move there? How did you go about the process? What are some stories you can tell about the immigration process? Where can I start? How can I realistically make it happen? I hope this isn’t silly to you all, as it matters quite a lot to me and I’m genuinely interested in getting away from here for good. Thank you all for your time!

• Nalivai
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

On one hand there is a looming creep of fascism, disproportionately rasing cost of living, car-centric hellfrastructure, and everlooming threat of medical debt, the concept that is baffling to anyone from any developed country. On the other hand the encryption of your phone is regulated slightly tighter and you need to diy it if you need.
    Well, I really don’t know what to choose.

• JWayn596@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s all it is, a looming creep that’s a very loud minority. The car-centric infrastructure is quite tragic, to be sure. And the cost of healthcare is a problem. But again, there are enough benefits to staying that outweigh the cost of moving.

I don’t know their circumstance. But for me, as someone who was formerly doom and gloom about some of these things. Some things that helped me was getting fit and volunteering.

After that, you could join the national guard, who will allow you to finish your degree, and you’ll immediately have job security.

People complain about the nation as a whole without taking the time to see what’s specifically wrong with their community and doing their part for the collective good of society.

• Nalivai
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

very loud minority

That is getting more and more power, which is the problem. And this will exacerbate all the other problems.
        And I don’t really think that “serving guaranteed citizenship” from starship troopers was a raging endorsement of the system