• BobbyNevada
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Personally, as an ex employee of la Quinta, all this tracks.

• LordCirais@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Perhaps the employee had simply stepped away for a few minutes in that case? Screaming and messing in things because you deactivated your card seems like an odd solution to come to…

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

the room keys react to magnetic fields, if you had anything magnetic in your pockets, near them, it erases the info on it

• Ignisnex@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Mythbusters did a bit on that. I seem to recall that unless you’ve got an MRI in your pocket, it should be fine.

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

I have a magnetic clip wallet, keeps all my credit cards and stuff in place. doesn’t do anything to my cards, but to hotel room keys? those are much more susceptible o the magnetic field. wallet always erases those mfers. now I just keep my room key in an entirely different pocket/place

• whosdadog@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

That was probably permanent magnet cards (pre-made credit cards, membership cards, etc) vs re-writable magnetic cards that can be written to with a desktop machine.

• TheLadyAugust@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Most hotels use reprogrammable RFID cards, not magnetic cards. Hanlon’s razor dictates negligence or incompetence be assumed first. I think it’s more likely that a hotel employee incorrectly programmed the cards, or just didn’t at all before handing them over.

• SheeEttin@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    9 months ago

They do these days. They used to use magnetic strip. Some low-budget places probably still do. Or even physical keys.

• jo3shmoo@sh.itjust.works
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    9 months ago

I vastly prefer the RFID but several of the Homewood Suites and Hampton Inns I stay in each week are still magnetic stripe. I’ve definitely killed one. Used it to unlock my room, but then stuck it in a pocket with my magnetic headphone case when I went to workout

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

If it’s stupid and it works… but also super dangerous that there’s no password protection on the access key to people’s rooms.

• slumlordthanatos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Honestly, this is just across the board in hospitality. I could totally see this happening at at any of the three hotels I worked at, and these were Mariott and Hilton properties.

Hospitality is such a toxic industry, the only people who can really survive and thrive in this environment are power-tripping psychos and workaholics.

• sumofchemicals@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I could see at a lower flagged hotel, but any full service property is going to have a manager on duty in addition to the rest of the staff. For example extremely unlikely to happen at a full Marriott, but maybe at a Residence Inn

• slumlordthanatos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

The one full-service property I worked at was a Doubletree…and the only person there at night after 10-11 PM is the night auditor.

Then again, none of these properties were particularly large. That Doubletree I mentioned was just shy of 200 rooms, and the other two hovered around 100.

• June@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I once had a reservation to stay at a La Quinta and there was literal poop on the bathroom light switch, the sheets on the neatly made bed were dirty (wrinkled as if slept in, black hair, literal dirt), there was what appeared to be a used tissue on the floor just under the edge of the bed, and the toilet was dirty like it hadn’t been cleaned in months (least of the issues).

They refused to fix the problems, give us a new room, or refund us. It was shocking and I’ll never book with them again.