Specifically thinking of stuff that make your life better in the long run but all kinds of answers are welcome!

I’ve recently learnt about lifetraps and it’s made a huge positive impact on how I view myself and my relationships

• MuchPineapples
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I don’t think it will make me happier to spend 1.5 hour in the bus and train instead of 20min by car.

• @lutillian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Yeah, a lot of the in the Americas it’s not the fact that we’d rather be in a car it’s that our public transit options are just so non-competitive with driving by design that it makes no sense to ever use them from a time perspective if you can afford not to.

If you live somewhere like the Bay area where you’ve got the BART or Chicago with the L, you can 100% use public transit as your daily driver because it’s actually faster then driving in most cases and you can read or do work while doing so… sadly this is not the case in most places. Takes me 15 minutes to drive into downtown, if I took the bus it would take me 2 and a half hours.

• tiredofsametab
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

Yeah, I’m generally anti-car in urban areas, but the bus system where I used to live forced me to get a car to go to work (it would have taken like 2 hours 40 minutes and involve walking for a fair amount of that. each way.)

• @Swedneck
        link
        -198 months ago

unless you live in like, the netherlands maybe, the traffic is going to make driving by far the least enjoyable option. Have fun sitting trapped in your car while others switch to micromobility and literally arrive home faster than you while enjoying the breeze on their face and the money to spend on having fun instead.

• @winkerjadams@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          168 months ago

Clearly you underestimate the size of america and how spaced out things are for the majority of people living here. Maybe in a city you are correct, but for most of us, this isn’t the case.

• @qwrty@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            48 months ago

Even in cities cars are the best way to get around in many American cities. This is because we built (bulldozed) our cities to be that way and neglect transit. Also, most people currently live in cities 🤓