Looking for some ideas of things to watch I like: animated, SF and comedy movies :)

• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Oh, I got a few:

Wings of Honneamise is an anime from the 80s that I rarely see mentioned that has a special place in my heart. It’s about the first space program in some foreign world, with conflict and war that captures the frontier spirit.

Black Rain, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia, is not exactly some small indie movie but I never see it mentioned anywhere. I would describe it as a fish out of water story with two American cops going to Osaka. I love the movie and the soundtrack.

Colossus: The Forbin Project from 1970 is a sci-fi classic that I think really holds up.

A Taxing Woman from 1987, co-incidentally the same year as Wings of Honneamise, is a Japanese movie about a tax collector going after a criminal who is hiding his income really well. I caught this late at night on TV 30 years or so ago and just enjoyed it a lot.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec is a French movie, bringing a comic of the same name to the screen. I really liked the comics already and the movie was fun as well. Early 20th century Paris, some fantasy elements.

Forbidden Planet, 1956, is also a sci-fi classic, starring a young Leslie Nielsen in a serious role.

The 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is my favorite version of the story. It stars Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy and Jeff Goldblum. You might have seen Sutherland from this movie as a meme.

La Haine is another French movie, starring Vincent Cassel, Very intense, very good.

Ladyhawke is a fantasy movie starring Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick. I wish there were more movies like this. Just telling a nice story. A cursed couple, a thief and a lot of adventure.

The Name of the Rose, with Sean Connery, Christian Slater and Ron Perlman, is a lovely version of Umberto Eco’s book of the same name, that tells the story in an actually entertaining way.

The Ninth Gate with Johnny Depp is another book adaptation that I think is better than the book. Fantasy and mystery and suspense.

Oxygen is a French sci-fi movie with a really minimalistic set and cast that I was pleasantly surprised by.

The Patlabor movies are among my favorite anime movies. Mostly calm and mature characters and nice stories.

The Prophecy with Christopher Walken and Elias Koteas was an indie success in the 90s. Angels, the Devil and mortals caught in between.

Shin Godzilla (2016) is my favorite Godzilla movie of all time. I can see why people might not like it, but it just tickled me in all the right places.

Strange Days is one of the best cyberpunk movies out there.

Top Secret! is brought to you by Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker, who brought us, amongst other movies, The Naked Gun trilogy and Hot Shots. It’s equally silly and funny.