• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Never explain with malice what can equally well be explained by incompetence. I readily believe that the conditions in prison are awful, tech ain’t working and people are not doing their jobs. In any other case everybody would believe that too. I also believe that someone who’s sure he’ll die or spend a very long time in prison will prefer suicide. If I’ve learned one thing from rich, influential people it’s that they’re not exactly competent and couldn’t’ve pulled of a murder like this without people bragging about it left and right and leaving a massive paper trail. Sadly, the suicide is just the easier, more plausible explanation.

• Th4tGuyII@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I am aware of Hanlon’s razor, and usually do give benefit of doubt for exactly that reason. People are often just as, if not more stupid than they are malicious.

Having said that, it is just inconceivable to me that such grave incompetence would come about when the person in question is quite literally the golden ticket to apprehending the pedo-ring to end all pedo-rings.

I don’t even necessarily disbelieve that he killed himself, the motives are there - but I do firmly believe that at the very least somebody greased palms to make sure there were no witnesses to prevent him taking his life when the opportunity arose. Given the amount if corruption amongst the police, that is certainly something I’m willing to believe

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t believe any of that. To the people who actually handled him he was just another inmate and that’s where the incompetence and apathy come in. There’s been a lot of inmate deaths in the news recently, which strengthens my belief. For many people Epstein was important, but I don’t think the grunts in prison gave a crap who he was.