• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My car is the same. I want to install a map update in my Ford, but it’s 22GB and according to the manual it’ll take 1-2 hours.

• habanhero@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Why tf would a map update be 22GB? What is it, a CP2077 patch / DLC?

• 50MYT@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Map of world, and world’s language packs so you can use voice instructions in any language.

• Bob@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Which will be useful to roughly four or five people out of their userbase!

• PraiseTheSoup@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Is there no option to download it on a PC and use a flash drive to install to the vehicle? Or are they saying install time is 1-2 hours because the hardware is that bad?

• state_electrician
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s what I am doing. It’ll take 1-2 hours with engine running to unpack and install the data from a USB drive.

• Tikiporch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If I want to update the map in a 2016 Toyota, I have to pay the dealership about $200 to do so.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ouch, I doubt anyone would he looking forward to babysitting their idling car for 2 hours, just to install a navigation update 😭

Older vehicles and standalone GPSes allowed people to just order a physical pre-loaded SD card, insert it into the appropriate slot, and that’s your maps sorted with no idling or babysitting.

While it’s nice that there’s no longer the excess physical electronic waste with the SD cards, I find it hard to see the cloud alternative as an improvement