• @xenspidey@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -308 months ago

You all realize they don’t have that money laying around to pay the IRS right? They own companies, those companies are worth that much. To pay that you would have to liquidate those companies. So no more Amazon, Tesla, Space X, etc…

• Luke
      link
      fedilink
      English
      618 months ago

no more Amazon, Tesla, Space X, etc…

Oh no! Anyway, so how can we make this happen, like, yesterday?

• ElHexo [comrade/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      528 months ago

If only there were some way to change the ownership of assets without converting the asset into currency

• @alvvayson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      358 months ago

Don’t be a bootlicker or bot or idiot.

When they sell their shares to buy twitter or pay the tax man, those companies still exist. It just means that other people get to buy those shares and that’s a good thing, because that way those companies get owned by the public.

Tesla and SpaceX still exist even after Elon overpaid by some $30B for his Twitter adventure.

• usernamesaredifficul [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I would be happy to take taxes in the form of ownership of the company

here the tax genius of Henry the 8th comes into play “pay me my money or else”

when noblemen didn’t pay william the conqueror the taxes he felt were due on time he would boil them. The principle being that if the rich face consequences for breaking the law they obey.

• Programmer Belch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      148 months ago

I highly recommend you to read the paper billionare argument. The market can stand the liquidation of most of those companies without making them go bankrupt, we don’t want them to stop existing, just to make them smaller and not a threat to democracy.

For the whole scale of wealth I also recommend going through wealth shown to scale

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        08 months ago

Can billionaires liquidate their assets? Yes, it is theoretically possible

The real question is, who is going to buy the assets?

Let’s say we have a billionaire that owns a billion dollar company.

Could that billionaire sell all their shares, get a billion dollars in cash, and then give it away. Yes, it is possible.

But that billion dollars in cash has to come from somewhere. Either the citizens have to come with a billion dollars in cash or the government.

If the citizens spend a billion to buy the shares, then the government takes the billion in cash from the billionaire, then the government gives a billion back to the citizens. You just basically printed an extra billion dollars for the economy, which causes inflation. Because the citizens now have two billion in stocks and cash, compared to just one billion in cash.

Our fiat money system has flaws, one day it is going to crash.

But Besos’ 100+ billion in Amazon stock is money tied up outside of the economy until he sells.

Forcing him to sell and introduce that money into the economy has repercussions.

• Programmer Belch
          link
          fedilink
          English
          18 months ago

You don’t need to make him dump all of his money all at once. Make an investment plan so that sum of money doesn’t disturb the market, extend the dump for two-three years and you can put 100 million without destroying the system

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

I didn’t say you needed to make them dump it all at once, but no matter how you do it, you’re introducing more money into the economy.

Make an investment plan so that sum of money doesn’t disturb the market

Again, great the market isn’t disturbed and stocks are still worth a billion total. You’re still going to introduce another billion into the economy in “two-three” years by giving it to the poor.

The whole point of taking money from billionaires is to affect the economy. There’s no point in doing it if it’s not going to affect anything.

• Programmer Belch
              link
              fedilink
              English
              08 months ago

The money is already in the economy, it is just not moving hands. When talking about disturbing the economy I was alluding to inflation, lots of poor families will gladly welcome that money. Also if we allowed us to take a little bit more, the social services will be allowed to improve substantially

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                18 months ago

Say I invented the cure for cancer today and started the business Cancer Cure Inc. tomorrow.

I own 100% of the shares of the company. Say there are 100 shares.

Each share of Cancer Cure Inc. would be valued at X/100 amount of money because Cancer Cure Inc. would be valued at X.

If Cancer Cure Inc. company was valued at a billion dollars. Each share would be worth 10 million dollars.

I would be seen as a billionaire because I own the 100 shares. Yet I haven’t sold a single share. No money has exchanged hands for the shares.

A billion dollars doesn’t just magically enter the economy because Cancer Cure Inc. exists. It would take an existing billion dollars to buy my shares.

Now, if people wanted to give me a billion dollars in cash for my 100 shares, and I sold them. I’d have a billion dollars in cash, and the people would have a billion dollars in Cancer Cure Inc. stock.

Now, if the government takes my billion dollars in cash and hand that to the people, they now have a billion dollars in stock and a billion dollars in cash.

It doesn’t matter if I own 100 stocks of Cancer Cure Inc. or if 100 different wealthy people own 1 stock each. What changed is that there is now 1 billion more cash floating in the economy.

That’s what causes inflation

I’m not saying it’s right. Capitalism has winners and losers, rich and poor. It’s just how the capitalism system has to work.

• @xenspidey@lemmy.zip
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  18 months ago

The people on here want you to work hard and take all the risk, create Cancer Cure Inc. Then take all your company and give it to the workers so you have nothing.

• ThenThreeMore
      link
      fedilink
      English
      88 months ago

No, they’d just need to liquidate their share in those companies. Those shares would then get bought up by other people or by pension funds.

• @Slotos@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      68 months ago

All they’d need to liquidate is part of their ownership in said companies. Companies themselves will be ok, don’t you worry your bleeding heart.

• @AngryMulbear@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        28 months ago

That’s not true at all. Loss of controlling ownership makes a company vulnerable to a hostile takeover. The new owners will pick it apart like the vultures they are.

RIP grannies pension plan

• Neuromancer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -268 months ago

That’s the thing people don’t get. The ultra wealthy are wealthy on paper.

On an average years. All of us make more than Elon in wages.

• @sim_@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 months ago

You’re making it sound like the wealthy are rich in technicality only. Maybe the majority of their assets aren’t liquid but they’re still damn wealthy more than “on paper.”

And singling out wages as the only source of income to prove Elon isn’t “actually” wealthy is disingenuous at best.

• Neuromancer
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -98 months ago

He’s wealthy but he doesn’t have a high income.

We tax income in America. That’s why Elon pays little and same with bezos. They just don’t have much income.

It personally doesn’t bother me they have billions. They pay their fair share of their taxes just like I pay mine.

You’re not poor because they’re rich. Once you stop focusing on others and focus on yourself; life becomes much easier.

• @sim_@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            8 months ago

It’s interesting you assume I’m poor just because I’m not licking those boots.

• Neuromancer
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -58 months ago

You are. It’s easy to figure out. When people confuse wealth with income, it’s easy to figure out.

• @xenspidey@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                18 months ago

People here think there is some finite wealth pie, and if you cut a big piece somehow that leaves more for everyone else

• Neuromancer
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  08 months ago

I’ve noticed their knowledge of economics is about zero.

I agree they think Elon has their part of the pie. He doesn’t. If they understood how stocks work, they’d know he has zero of their pie.

They also think he is sitting on billions in cash. He isn’t.

At least Elon created functioning companies for his wealth. He also created many millionaires.

That’s a good billionaire. You can go buy his product at the store.

Facebook. You are the product.

• @bostonbananarama@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        88 months ago

What does that matter? He doesn’t take wages intentionally. He has a large stock portfolio that he can borrow against and thereby pay no taxes on that “income”.

• @MNByChoice@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            8 months ago

That actually almost seems worse. He is not paying into Social Security or his local community. He is being generously compensated on stock, which is taxed differently.

Edit: I do want to thank you for providing that link. I was only finding a Forbes article about him being the highest compensated CEO of that year.

• Neuromancer
              link
              fedilink
              English
              18 months ago

He’s paying in the local community through property taxes.

He’s highly compensated through stock and when he bought twitter. We got some huge amount of money in Taxes.

You’re correct. He rarely pays into social but that’s a problem for Congress to solve.

There are many ways to solve this bullshit and one is not allow them to borrow against their stock. That’s how they live for so cheap. I’m not opposed to stopping that at all.

• @Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                38 months ago

Borrowing against stock needs to stop yesterday, especially if it’s not specifically for the interests of the company whose stock is being used.