• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    8 months ago

The problem is that this wealth is ownership in companies they made. If you start a company and it becomes too successful, Is it right that we really just forcefully take that ownership away from you? Who wants to start or keep a company in a country that takes away your company from you if it’s too successful?

• @SketchySeaBeast@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      228 months ago

“I won’t start a company because it may be worth over a billion one day and that would only leave me with hundreds of millions of dollars. That doesn’t seem worthwhile,” thought no one ever in your hypothetical.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -78 months ago

No, it’s more like

" why start a company when if it becomes too successful it will literally be taken away from me for being too successful". I don’t believe we should be taking away businesses from business owners, do you?

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -88 months ago

So your argument is “Fuck them because they have more than me”. Is that about right? We can steal from them because they have more to steal?

• @funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  48 months ago

Come on, man, at least understand the concept of the reification of labour-power-at-work if you’re going to debate the very concept of what it means to have capital.

The value of arbeitskraft is only extracted when the means of production are privately owned. Assets and liabilities have to cost less than the output for value to be generated, I’m saying that value should have an (extremely generous) upper bound as a compensation for the initial outlay of creating a private capital asset, after which additional value is returned either to the creators of the labour in the labour-power or the labour-power-at-work is deemed valuable to society and the value is returned in general there.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    -38 months ago

I don’t know all the details of Marxism, basically because I think it’s a flawed view and don’t see the value in dedicating a lot of time to understanding the whole thing.

The problem is that, again, you are suggesting that company owners be forced to give up their ownership, in this case it seems like you are saying they should be forced to give it away to employees? That’s where all the value we are talking about is, it’s the value of stock, or ownership, that’s worth billions.

Why should owners of anything be forced to give up that ownership? If they sell or give any ownership that should be their choice, not forced. This goes for anything from your car to your house to your company, ownership is ownership.

• @SketchySeaBeast@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          48 months ago

If you’ve gone public with the company yes, you’ve set up the situation where paying your due means giving up some control of the company. That was a you decision. But congratulations you’re worth hundreds of millions. If you find yourself thinking that’s not enough you’re deeply broken and one of the most selfish people in human history, a true 0.01%er.

And again, this is a billion dollar baseline people are talking about. This is the same as people upset about the possibility of inheritance taxes because then they’d only get $10,000,000 tax free. No one is not starting a business because of that, which was your original argument.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -28 months ago

It’s one thing to willfully sell some company shares to investors, it’s another to be forced to give up more shares just to pay taxes on wealth because of those shares.

This brings up an interesting point though, let’s say it’s a private company worth billions, where one person owns 100% of the shares, do you force them to sell also?

People may not start a business with the intent to be a billionaire, but if we say that if you make it that far we will just tax you so much you will be forced to sell away your ownership, who would keep their company here when they get close to that? I think it’s telling that many of the most successful worldwide companies are US companies.

• @Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          38 months ago

At some point you just have to give them a gold sticker, a “Congratulations! You won capitalism!” plaque, and leave something for the rest of humanity.

• @bostonbananarama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      118 months ago

Yes, I’m sure if Jeff Bezos were worth 10 billion dollars less he would have just said forget it I’ll flip burgers instead. I don’t think you need to rip their company from them, you just need to tax them.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -78 months ago

You are literally suggesting to rip the company away from them though. They are only worth billions because of that value, if you rant to tax them billions where do you think they are going to get that money? They only have one option, to sell their ownership in their own company. If that’s not ripping their company away from them I don’t know what is.

link
          fedilink
          English
          28 months ago

Are other people paying taxes described as “ripping” away their ownership in “x”? What a bizarre framing. Also, Bezos owns less than 10% of Amazon, so he’s already given away ownership of the company. He has assets, and they should be taxed

How does Amazon exist? How do they continue to operate? They run on the Internet created by the US government, they deliver packages by flying through US airspace, and driving on roads paved by several levels of government. Their factories don’t burn down because of municipal fire departments, and aren’t burglarized because of municipal police departments. Why shouldn’t they pay for those things, which they make much more use of than you or I?

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

Others aren’t using taxes on wealth though. Should the middle class be taxed on the amount in their retirement funds also? Or the amount in their bank accounts?

10% of Amazon is still a lot, it’s still a lot of power.

You think Amazon doesn’t pay for any of that? They pay for their use of such things like we all do. They do get some discounts thanks to scale, but they are paying way more than you or me.

link
              fedilink
              English
              18 months ago

The problem is that they are all employing tax avoidance schemes. Corporations like Amazon will spin off their IP to a separate off-shore corporation. Then they’ll pay that corporation for the use of their IP. That reduces Amazon’s profit to near zero, meaning they’re not paying taxes. The off shore corporation doesn’t pay taxes either.

People like Bezos won’t take salaries, because they’re taxed. Instead they’ll take stock. Then they’ll take loans against that stock, so they don’t pay taxes. They just roll that loan into another loan and continue to live off of it, never paying taxes because they have no “income”.

So yes, their wealth should be taxed. Otherwise the richest among us pay next to nothing and yet benefit the most from what our taxes buy. If we weren’t adequately capturing taxes from the middle class, then sure, but that’s not the case.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                18 months ago

Amazon does invest most of their profits back into the business, that is why they were operating with basically no profit. They still paid plenty of taxes though, like payroll taxes, that aren’t based on profit.

Then apply income tax or something on loans against stock over a certain amount, but I’m guessing that isn’t enough for you? I’m guessing like everyone else here the only solution is to tax them so much they aren’t a billionaire anymore, forcefully taking their company away from them in the process.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    18 months ago

I’m fine with stopping new tax exemptions, but the ones we already gave were just have to live with. It’s not right to ask for it all back.

Yes, it is reinvestment, new ideas aren’t free, they cost startup money, it costs money to develop new products and ideas, it’s literally reinvestment of profits back into the company.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  18 months ago

I know, it’s awful that people want rich people and rich corporations to pay their fair share of the tax burden. If they can’t pay their fair share and keep ungodly amounts of wealth, while people are homeless and children are starving, while shit, I guess they just shouldn’t have to pay taxes then. What if they had to sell some stock…ohh, the humanity! Will the horrors never cease! You sound like an absolute clown.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    18 months ago

What is so bad about investing money back into yourself, it’s exactly what non profits are built around doing.

What is their fair share? Your rant to take away all their profits even if they make none? Stop job growth in the company by not allowing them to invest in new products or ideas?

Why should owners be forced to sell their business just because it’s successful? Why should we punish success? Stock isn’t just some made up currency, it’s literally proof of ownership in a company, it’s voting power, it’s not someone we should be forcing owners to give up.

• @agent_flounder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      88 months ago

True. But generally I think giant companies cause more systemic problems than they solve. So maybe we don’t really need them.

After we die back to a manageable level from climate change we should try to remember that and prohibit it happening again.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -18 months ago

We don’t really need giant companies? Ok, sure… personally I like my high tech options these large companies offer, and their ability to offer lower prices thanks to the economics of scale. If you want to pay more for everything then feel free to go to small companies, personally I prefer to pay less for the same stuff from large companies.

• @agent_flounder@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          28 months ago

Meanwhile the downsides are invasion of privacy, destruction of the environment, poor treatment of workers and on and on.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

If employees are treated so poorly they would leave, it’s not like we force people to keep their job. If you prefer to pay more, it’s your choice to buy from smaller companies.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                18 months ago

Everybody is free to leave and free to find new jobs, im not sure where you get the idea that isn’t the case.

Also how is it stealing value to pay less than the profits made? You realize a company has to make profits to survive, right?

How is the US arguably the most successful country on the planet if stuff is really as bad as you say it is? The US is far from perfect, but it’s impossible to deny it’s one of the best places to be and people risk everything trying to get in wanting a better life.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    17 months ago

Unless that’s part of the agreement (pretty sure it isn’t) then they are free to do what they want, especially if the government becomes hostile to them.

You are living in fairy land and way outside the realm of reality. What you want isn’t realistic, and it doesn’t matter how badly you or everyone else wants it. I’m being realistic here, not falling deep into fantasy land.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    17 months ago

What other reason are they coming here for it it isn’t a better life? Who is saying anything differently?

I’m not against legal immigration, I’m just against the illegal kind, we have to control who and how many come in.

I’m not sure who you think you are talking about with “you people”, but I don’t think I’m part of it.

• @Slotos@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      58 months ago

If the company becomes too successful, maybe there’s not just my effort that went into achieving that.

Somehow “you got paid, fuck off” is acceptable, but “you reaped the benefits, fuck off” is not.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -28 months ago

What do employees get for their efforts? Oh yeah, that’s right, they get a salary and maybe even bonuses. What are you suggesting we do the owners? Oh, punish them by removing their company from them? Yeah, they will surely keep the company in the US if that is their reward.

• @alvvayson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      48 months ago

All these people already sell the stock of their own companies to diversify their holdings or to buy a yacht, island or Twitter.

Selling stock on the market to pay the tax man is no different.

They still keep a billion dollars worth of stock, so its not like they end up poor.

And the government can “forcefully” take a third of a working mans income, which is way worse than taxing wealth. Go cry me a river.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 months ago

They don’t actually sell stock in a lot of cases, they keep it and take out loans against it. That can only go so far though, if you are like the rest of the crazy people here and suggest we just tax billionaires until they are no longer billionaires, then that won’t work.

Why not take the income of these business owners? Just like we take the income of everyone else? Why special rules for taxing this specific group of people you don’t like?

• @alvvayson@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          58 months ago

If they can take out loans to buys islands, Yachts and overpriced tweet companies, then let them take out loans to pay tax.

They only have five figure incomes thanks to the loopholes, so that isn’t a fair level of taxation compared to their actual capital gains that they artificially keep as “unrealized” on paper. A trick unavailable to us mere mortals.

You’re a tool.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

It’s clear you don’t know how things work at all. You can’t expect to tax someone billions every year and not have to sell the thing causing such a huge tax burden. This isn’t an infinite money glitch, the loan thing can only go so far.

Also, unrealized gains are a real thing, stocks go up and down, and the change in value is unrealized until it’s sold. If a stock goes up $100 that isn’t $100 in my pocket, because tomorrow it could go down $200. If you want to tax these unrealized gains, then you should be paying out the unrealized losses as well. You would also be screwing up the middle class retirement funds, so thanks for that.

• @alvvayson@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              18 months ago

You have a big mouth for someone who has zero clue.

Obviously, taxes are levied on a yearly basis and not every day, so daily fluctuations in value are irrelevant.

And retirement funds are tax exempt, so they will not be screwed.

And yes, people who can’t afford to pay property taxes have to sell property. That is a reality we all have to deal with, so why not let the super rich also deal with it.

Dude, get some education.

• @Chriskmee@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                18 months ago

Are you not proposing taxing billionaires billions in taxes until they are no longer billionaires? That’s what everyone else seems to be suggesting. If they took out billion dollar loans to pay this tax, their wealth would be the same or more every year and they would pay billions more next year. It doesn’t take long for there to be no more loans available because all the owned stock is held as collateral for these billions in tax loans they took out.

Oh, thanks for singling out one form of stock ownership while harshly taxing another. Not all middle class “retirement” accounts are under that retirement umbrella though. Since there are a lot of restrictions in those many will have regular stock holdings that would be taxed under your plans.

Financial and real assets are different. We don’t tax financial assets as property, and only some real property gets a property tax.

You really don’t see how your ideas won’t work, do you?

• @Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

Or, crazy thought, make it so they can’t take out loans against their stock; especially if it’s not for private use! Maybe that way, people like Musk will be forced to give themselves salaries that can be taxed by the government.

• @Dark_Blade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      28 months ago

There are loopholes that can be closed, but won’t because the majority of American politicians are also rich assholes. I do think most of the ideas that get bandied out are dumb as sin, however.