Scary edition of the weekly thread 👻

What have you been playing!

I’ve been playing the re4 dlc! And, on the other end of the spectrum, the original yoshis island, as I had never finished it before.

• Turmbaumeister
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Lies of p - absolutely fantastic. The first game I rate 10/10 since Mass effect 2 I think.

They took what is good in soulslikes and removed stupid fromsoftwareisms. The story is great and actually told, there are some indicators for npcs who have something for you, when an npc moves somewhere they leave a note etc.

The bosses are tough but fair, they don’t randomly recover from stagger into a one shot ability or heal off of hitting a shield, there’s no fake, game breaking, lazy difficulty like fromsoftware would do, you are not punished for doing something well.

The combat is great, no “rhythmic” parry spam, no dodge spam, you need to think about what to use, when you do the game can be rather easy for this genre.

There are 2 or 3 eldenringy bosses towards the end with ludicrous mobility and combo spam but most of the rest are really great.

If this is this devs first game I really want to see the next. First time in ages I’m doing ng+

• Turmbaumeister
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes and yes. BB is a flawed masterpiece, some great things ruined by some of the worst fromsoftwareisms, a bit dated at this point too.

LoP has a better and more varied combat, 60fps, better bosses, better weapon system, many QoL improvements, better story(in part because it’s actually told :D), way better graphics, no grind, no long runbacks(the longest has like 3 enemies you need to fight, BB was made at a time FS still thought runbacks somehow add to the experience or maybe it was a cynical attempt at padding the game length).

In LoP, once you “git gut” it’s just so satisfying to get a few perfect blocks on a boss combo and break his weapon, never gets old.

In my utterly subjective opinion BB is 7.5/10, LoP 10/10 in 2023.

• bijuice@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Damn, Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time so if Lies of P is anywhere as good as that I have to put it on my radar.

• StillNotAHero@artemis.camp
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Lies of P is absolutely fantastic. If you’re a fan of Bloodborne you are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t try Lies of P.