Scary edition of the weekly thread 👻

What have you been playing!

I’ve been playing the re4 dlc! And, on the other end of the spectrum, the original yoshis island, as I had never finished it before.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I remember it being awesome. Does it still hold up or is it showing it’s age?

• sfera@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I played it again a few months ago. IMO it’s still awesome. I should probably play the first part again too.

• Thymos@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The original Yoshi’s Island is so much fun! How far along are you now?

I’ve been replaying Stardew Valley lately. My first run was in 2018 when it was still version 1.3, so there’s loads of new content to play through.

• Chloyster [she/her]@beehaw.orgOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah it’s great! I’ve started it a few times but recently got an analogue pocket and am trying to finish a lot of those older games I’ve never finished. I think I’m about half way through world 4 now. Still deciding if I want to try and 100% every level to get the bonus levels haha

• KidDogDad@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I was playing a ton of Baldur’s Gate 3, but I decided I needed a break on it after getting to Act 3. I’m currently playing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire for the first time and enjoying it.

• lemillionsocks@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Lol I like how you took a break from the sprawling modern CRPG by playing a different sprawling modern CRPG.

I do love the pillars of eternity series though. I think the first game got a little exposition text heavy and could have done with some more character animations during cutscenes, but I loved the story and the setting and I enjoyed the tropical island hopping of the 2nd(though I do wish the ship to ship combat was better they were so close to what could have been a paired down FTL).

• KidDogDad@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Haha yeah I was slightly confused why I wanted to play a different massive sprawling rpg but 🤷🏻‍♂️

• neosheo@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Been playing witcher 3 and hollow knight. Just beat final boss of hollow knight and now i’m going around clearing the rest of the bosses i missed

• Turmbaumeister
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Lies of p - absolutely fantastic. The first game I rate 10/10 since Mass effect 2 I think.

They took what is good in soulslikes and removed stupid fromsoftwareisms. The story is great and actually told, there are some indicators for npcs who have something for you, when an npc moves somewhere they leave a note etc.

The bosses are tough but fair, they don’t randomly recover from stagger into a one shot ability or heal off of hitting a shield, there’s no fake, game breaking, lazy difficulty like fromsoftware would do, you are not punished for doing something well.

The combat is great, no “rhythmic” parry spam, no dodge spam, you need to think about what to use, when you do the game can be rather easy for this genre.

There are 2 or 3 eldenringy bosses towards the end with ludicrous mobility and combo spam but most of the rest are really great.

If this is this devs first game I really want to see the next. First time in ages I’m doing ng+

• Turmbaumeister
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes and yes. BB is a flawed masterpiece, some great things ruined by some of the worst fromsoftwareisms, a bit dated at this point too.

LoP has a better and more varied combat, 60fps, better bosses, better weapon system, many QoL improvements, better story(in part because it’s actually told :D), way better graphics, no grind, no long runbacks(the longest has like 3 enemies you need to fight, BB was made at a time FS still thought runbacks somehow add to the experience or maybe it was a cynical attempt at padding the game length).

In LoP, once you “git gut” it’s just so satisfying to get a few perfect blocks on a boss combo and break his weapon, never gets old.

In my utterly subjective opinion BB is 7.5/10, LoP 10/10 in 2023.

• bijuice@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Damn, Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time so if Lies of P is anywhere as good as that I have to put it on my radar.

• StillNotAHero@artemis.camp
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Lies of P is absolutely fantastic. If you’re a fan of Bloodborne you are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t try Lies of P.

• CaptainDogwater@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve been getting back into Cyberpunk 2077 since the major update! I’ve really enjoyed the overhauled perk/leveling system.

Worth giving it a go if you’ve been on the fence or haven’t touched it in awhile.

• lemba
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Getting familiar with Team Fight Tactics… I loved Dota Underlords. CS2 for nostalgic memories. Magic Arena, new season just began.

• Ultimatenab@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I finally got the time to sit and play on my car sim ( Assetto Corsa / competezione) after more than a year. For the first fewsessions, I forgot how to take corners but now I’m back into it and it is an amazing feeling when you nail a race from start to finish.

• squirrel
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

New Trackmania season came out an hour ago. Learning all the new tracks.

• trainden@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s been a while since I read something about that game. Is it actually a bad game, or just a bad Just Cause game?

• GrindingGears@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Just Cause 4 changed everything around. It’s just not fun, it’s really boring, plus the progression has been changed all around.

Let’s be frank, the Just Cause games were never the highest of quality, the plots were always terrible, and they were super repetative. But they were good zone out and just have a good time exploring and playing action-sandbox sort of games. Just Cause 2’s map was pretty big for it’s time too. 2 and 3 are the best of the series. 4 is a dud.

• gk99@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Mainly AI Dungeon because I’ve been hella tired and it requires minimal input compared to other games, but I loaded up my three year old Cyberpunk 2077 save and started playing again with 2.0, and Counter-Strike 2 just dropped so I’ve been giving that some of my time.