Would be cool if you linked it but you don’t hve to!

additional info: won’t be used for gaming and i’m putting xcfe linux on it. i need it for school for basic stuff

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve bought about a dozen second hand thinkpads over the last few years, for friends and family et cetera.

Presently to t490s is great value.

Find a vendor on eBay that has multiple to sell. These are tech people that have had a contract to replace an org’s entire fleet. (You don’t want someone’s university workhorse, you want one that’s been stashed in some exec’s filing cabinet).

Then find their actual website rather than their ebay page, and reach out to them directly. Ask if they have any peripherals or other things they’re trying to sell. Ask about ram or SSD upgrades. Ask about volume discounts.

These guys will be overjoyed to sell 3x or 4x, usually have RAM and SSDs just lying around from dead laptops.

I’m an accountant. I use a $250USD t490s with a thinkpad dock (free) for 3x monitor display as a daily driver. It’s a great set up.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Worked for a non-profit that refurbs laptops to give to underprivileged communities, and can attest to that. An enterprise fleet is usually quite well-maintained (save for a random outlier here and there, looking at you who snacked at their desk; you have the most disgusting keyboard I’ve seen in a very long time), and anything with say, an Intel 8th Gen will be good for many things. Just make sure they refurb or test the batteries, as well as swapping out any HDDs for SSDs.